Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers
The Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) was founded in Los Angeles, California in 1974 by a group of engineers employed by the city of Los Angeles. Their objective was to form a national organization of professional engineers to serve as role models in the Hispanic community.
Social networking was the key basis for the organization. SHPE quickly established two student chapters to begin the network that would grow to encompass the nation as well as reach countries outside the United States. Today SHPE’s network includes close to 300 chapters throughout the U.S.
On June 1, 2017, SHPE announced Raquel Tamez would join the organization as Chief Executive Officer. In addition to appointing Tamez as its new CEO, SHPE also appointed Dr. Chris Wilkie its new COO and chief of staff. Both appointments took place in August. One month later, Miguel Alemañy was announced as the new Chair of the National Board of Directors.
Along with AISES, NSBE, and SWE, SHPE is a founding member of the 50K Coalition, a collaborative of more than 40 organizations focused on producing 50,000 diverse engineering graduates annually by 2025. SHPE is also a member of the STEM Education Coalition which works to raise awareness about the critical role that STEM education plays in enabling the U.S. to remain the economic and technological leader of the global marketplace.
Volunteer leaders fill local leadership roles within SHPE’s regions and chapters, which carry out SHPE’s core programming. SHPE’s programs are designed to raise awareness of and access to STEM among Hispanic communities, and directly serve K-12, undergraduate, and graduate students, as well as academic and industry professionals. In addition to its overall leadership development framework (SHPEology) for undergraduates, graduate students, and working professionals, SHPE runs the following individual programs:
- SHPE Academics: Supports the journey of those in academia
- SHPE Professionals: Offers leadership strategies that make a positive workplace impact
- SHPE Technology & Innovation: Shines a spotlight on the latest technology and innovation in STEM
- SHPE K-12: Offers student-focused programs to get young people excited about STEM
- MentorSHPE: Provides a platform for members to build lasting relationships with other members
- Noche de Ciencias: Family science night events promoting STEM awareness to K-12 students
- ScholarSHPE: Offers students financial support to narrow the gap in the Hispanic STEM education pipeline
- SHPEology: Designed to raise awareness about the importance of Hispanic inclusion in STEM
- SHPEtina: Empowering Latinas in STEM offers strategies to thrive and overcome obstacles 
SHPE also maintains a strong network by hosting three annual events offering leadership skills training and networking opportunities for its membership and supporters. These events include:
- National Convention. As the organization’s signature event, this is the largest technical and career conference for Hispanics in the United States, attracting over 6,000 engineering professionals, students, and corporate representatives. The conference features educational and technical panel discussions and workshops for its professional and student attendees. In addition, companies recruit talent for jobs and internships via a Career Fair Expo, as well as support competitions that allow undergraduate and graduate students the opportunity to showcase their talents. There are specialized programs available for pre-college students, prospective graduate students, and academic and engineering professionals, as well as a Distinguished Lecture Series led by STEM academics.
- National Institute for Leadership Advancement (NILA). This conference convenes newly elected chapter leaders from SHPE’s undergraduate and professional chapters, offering leadership, community engagement, and mentorship skills training through workshops, lectures, individual and team exercises, hands-on activities, and small group breakout sessions. All attendees receive the Certified Chapter Leader certificate upon program completion.
- Regional Leadership Development Conference (RLDC). These conferences, which are held in all seven of SHPE’s regions at a university, convene members of a region’s student chapters to improve their organizational, managerial, and technical skills. There is a focus on developing and improving chapters’ K-12 outreach programs, chapter infrastructure improvement, and corporate network strengthening.
Exclusive to the National SHPE Convention is the STAR Awards Gala, which recognizes key individuals and corporations who have contributed significantly to support Hispanics in STEM. SHPE presents the following awards:
- Jaime Oaxaca Award. Recognizes the recipient’s unselfish and outstanding contributions in the fields of engineering and science and in the community, as well as his/her unwavering dedication and commitment to the Society’s advancement.
- Government Agency of the Year. Presented to an agency demonstrating support to SHPE’s educational programs and advancement of the Society’s mission.
- Corporate Achievement Award. Presented to an individual with project, budget, and departmental responsibilities who has made significant accomplishments in the scientific, technical, or engineering arena within a corporation.
- Company of the Year Award. Recognizes outstanding support to SHPE and its programs, based on significant, measurable, and visible assistance to help SHPE meet its goals; promotion of the achievements of Hispanic employees; dedication and commitment to the advancement of the Society’s growth and development; and demonstrated partnerships with public schools that have a high Hispanic enrollment.
- Chapter Advisor of the Year
- Community Service Award
- Diversity Award
- Educator of the Year Higher Education Award
- Hispanic in Technology – Corporate
- Hispanic in Technology – Government
- Professional Role Model
- Student Role Model – Graduate
- Student Role Model – Undergraduate
- Manager of the Year
- Promising Engineer
- Junipero Serra Award
- Star of Today Award
- Star of Tomorrow Award
- Young Investigator
- Rubén Hinojosa STEM Champion
- Pioneer of the Year
Industry Partnership CouncilEdit
Composed of national companies and government agencies committed to diversity and inclusion, SHPE’s Industry Partnership Council (IPC) supports year-round programming, shares industry perspectives, provides resources and development tools, and invests in recruitment and retention for SHPE chapters. There are more than 45 IPC members.
SHPE is a national organization and is divided into seven regions as the picture below shows.
|1||AK, Northern NV, Northern CA, OR, WA|
|2||AZ, HI, Southern CA, Southern NV|
|3||CO, ID, KS, NE, NM, ND, MT, SD, UT, WY|
|4||CT, DE, ME, MD, MA, NH, NJ, NY, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV, PR|
|5||AL, AR, LA, MS, OK, TN, TX|
|6||IL, IN, IA, KY, MI, MN, MO, OH, WI|
|7||NC, SC, GA, FL|
- "Empowering Hispanics in STEM". AL DÍA News. 2017-10-24. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Executive Spotlight | LATINA Style Magazine". latinastyle.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "SHPE Announces New Chief Executive Officer Raquel Tamez" (PDF). SHPE Press Release. June 1, 2017.
- "SHPE Announces New National Board Chair Miguel Alemañy and Welcomes Five New Board Members as of July 1" (PDF). SHPE Press Release. July 6, 2017.
- "Leaders and Members of the 50K Coalition". 50k Coalition. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "STEM Education Coalition". www.stemedcoalition.org. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Programs - Programs". Programs. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "SHPE GSFV Noche de Ciencias". shpe-gsfv.org. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Students of Hurricane Devastated Areas Receive Generous Sponsorships to Attend STEM Conference in Kansas City - Hispanic Network Magazine | A Hispanic News Source". Hispanic Network Magazine | A Hispanic News Source. 2017-12-15. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "SHPE Scholarships – Apply for corporate scholarships with SHPE Industry Partners Here". scholarships.shpe.org. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Raquel Tamez on Empowering Latinas in STEM Fields". Future of Business and Tech. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Students Work at Google, Cisco and Honda And It's All Because of a Group Named SHPE". New Jersey Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Hosts 41st National Conference In Kansas City, MO November 1-5, 2017". PRWeb. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "SHPE is Coming to Kansas City│Hispanic Network Magazine". Hispanic Network Magazine | A Hispanic News Source. 2017-10-25. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers - Welcome". shpe.org. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "SHPE Chapter President Attends NILA Conference; Earns Second Place in App Contest". UCR Today. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "RLDC 4 2018". shpe-nyc.org. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "ASU professor honored as Educator of the Year by Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers". ASU Now: Access, Excellence, Impact. 2017-10-19. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "SOCIETY OF HISPANIC PROFESSIONAL ENGINEERS ANNOUNCES 2017 STAR AWARD WINNERS - Hispanic Network Magazine | A Hispanic News Source". Hispanic Network Magazine | A Hispanic News Source. 2017-10-02. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- Company, Deere &. "Deere earns Company of the Year Award from Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers". www.prnewswire.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.CS1 maint: extra punctuation (link)
- "Boeing: Boeing and Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers". www.boeing.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- "Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers (SHPE) National Conference - Exelon". www.exeloncorp.com. Retrieved 2018-04-12.
- Marquez, Myriam (February 4, 1998). "It will take more than numbers to ensure success for Hispanics". Orlando Sentinel. Orlando, Florida. p. A.10. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- "Students win national award: Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers honors local latinos". Santa Maria Times. Santa Maria, California. February 12, 2005. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Puleio, Dan (January 20, 2007). "Naval Officer Receives Society of Hispanic Professional Engineers Technology Award". United States Navy News. Retrieved 30 January 2010.
- Puleio, Dan (January 24, 2007). "VCNO Delivers Keynote Speech to Hispanic Engineering Professionals". United States Navy News. Retrieved 30 January 2010.