Society of Christian Doctrine
The Society of Christian Doctrine (Latin: Societas Doctrinæ Christianæ, Italian: Società della Dottrina Cristiana, Maltese: Soċjetà Duttrina Nisranija; abbreviated SDC), better known as M.U.S.E.U.M., is a society of Catholic lay volunteers, made of men and women, teaching catechism in the Christian faith formation of children and adults. The society was established by George Preca in March 1907, in Malta. It has eventually spread around the world, first among Maltese migrants in Australia, then in Albania, in North Sudan and other countries.
Entrance to the mother-house of the society
|Motto||Magister Utinam Sequatur Evangelium Universus Mundus (Master may the whole world follow the Gospel)|
|Purpose||Teaching about the Roman Catholic religion|
|Headquarters||Mother House, Societas Doctrinæ Christianæ, id-Dar Ġenerali|
|Albanian, English, Italian, Latin, Spanish and Maltese|
|Affiliations||Roman Catholic Church in Malta|
|Societas Papidum et Papidissarum (Society of the Sons and Daughters of the Pope)|
In Malta, the society has forty-six catechism centres for males and forty-three for females.
It took until 1961 for the society to spread in Gozo, and was successful after a visit for a fishing session. That same year catechism started for males, and in 1962 it was followed by the female branch. There are now nine catechism centres for males and seven for females in Gozo.
The objectives of the religious society is catechetical work in the parishes. Members may participate in the activities in six days every week. The society often organises recreational activities for minors and educational courses for adults.
Members of the society are invited to participate for a meeting every Wednesday at the mother-house of the society, in Blata l-Bajda, Marsa. The mother-house is the prominent Church of Our Lady of the Miraculous Medal. The main scope for teaching catechism is to religiously prepare individuals, generally minors, to receive the sacraments according to the Roman Catholic tradition.
This is a list of former and present superior generals of the society:
History of the society:
- Rudolf, Uwe Jens (2018). Historical Dictionary of Malta. p. 245. ISBN 9781538119181.
- Burns, Paul (2001). Butler's Saints of the Third Millennium: Butler's Lives of the Saints. A & C Black. pp. 188–190. ISBN 978-0860123828.
- Anthony Micallef, ed. (June 2010). "Blessed George Preca" (PDF). The Maltese Wellingtonian. Wellington, New Zealand. 11 (3): 14–16. ISSN 1179-4828. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 March 2017. Information from "Blessed George Preca". vatican.va. Archived from the original on 3 June 2007.
- Marcelino Micallef, ed. (3 June 2007). "Benedict XVI Canonised 4 Saints: Calls Them Trinity's "Masterpieces"" (PDF). L-Aħbar. OFM Malta (125): 3. Archived from the original (PDF) on 14 March 2017.
- Farrugia, Massimo (28 May 2007). "Tal-Muzew feared as some sort of sect". Times of Malta. Archived from the original on 26 September 2015.
- "Dun Gorg - San Gorg Preca". Museum San Giljan. 2006. Archived from the original on 29 July 2013.
- Bonnici Calì, Rafel (August 1982). "Drawwiet li spiċċaw jew inbidlu" (PDF). L-Imnara (in Maltese). 1 (5): 130.
- Gale, Thomson (2003). New Catholic Encyclopedia: A-Azt. 1. Catholic University of America. p. 636. ISBN 9780787640057.
- "Only registered NGOs to benefit from funding". Times of Malta. 3 October 2015. Archived from the original on 6 October 2015.
- Rountree, Kathryn (2016). Crafting Contemporary Pagan Identities in a Catholic Society. Routledge. p. 22. ISBN 978-1317158684.
- Andreassi, Diane Gale (2011). Maltese in Detroit. Arcadia Publishing. p. 57. ISBN 978-0738583372.
- Santaro, Nicholas J. (2011). Mary In Our Life: Atlas of the Names and Titles of Mary, The Mother of Jesus, and Their Place in Marian Devotion. iUniverse. p. 104. ISBN 978-1462040223.
- Lanfranco, Guido (2000). "It-Taghlim tad-Duttrina fil-Gzejjer Maltin; Ftit ta' l-Istorja" (PDF). L-Imnara (in Maltese). Rivista tal-Għaqda Maltija tal-Folklor. Melita Historica. 6 (3): 107. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 April 2016.
- "Malta and Gozo". Society of Christian Doctrine. 2010. Archived from the original on 13 March 2017.
- "Socjeta tad-Duttrina Nisranija M.U.S.E.U.M. (L-Iben t'Alla Sar Bniedem)". Xaghra Parish. Archived from the original on 15 March 2017.
- "Is-Soċju tal-Mużew jingħata l-liberta' proviżorja". Net News. 2 September 2014. Archived from the original on 5 April 2017.
- Borg, Eugenio (1963). "Eugenio Borg 1886-1967". Preca Calling. Archived from the original on 27 November 2003.
- "MUSEUM Superior General resigns". Times of Malta. 15 May 2009. Retrieved 10 May 2017.