Social Psychology Quarterly
Social Psychology Quarterly is a peer-reviewed academic journal that publishes theoretical and empirical papers in the field of social psychology. The editors-in-chief are Matthew E. Brashears and Brent Simpson (University of South Carolina). It is published by SAGE Publications on behalf of the American Sociological Association, of which this is an official journal.
|Sociometry, Social Psychology|
|Soc. Psychol. Q.|
The journal was established in 1937 under the title Sociometry by Jacob L. Moreno, who served as publisher and chair of the editorial committee until 1955. In 1955, Moreno transferred ownership of the journal to the American Sociological Society (now the American Sociological Association), which has published the journal continuously since then. The journal's name was changed to Social Psychology in 1978 and it obtained its current name in 1979.
Abstracting and indexingEdit
Social Psychology Quarterly is abstracted and indexed in Scopus and the Social Sciences Citation Index. According to the Journal Citation Reports, its 2011 impact factor is 1.892, ranking it 15th out of 59 journals in the category "Psychology, Social".
The following persons have been editors-in-chief of the journal:
- Richard T. Serpe (Kent State University) & Jan E. Stets (University of California - Riverside) (2015-2017)
- Karen A. Hegtvedt (Emory University, 2014)
- Karen A. Hegtvedt & Cathryn Johnson (Emory University, 2011-2013)
- Gary Alan Fine (Northwestern University, 2007-2010)
- Spencer Cahill (University of South Florida, 2004-2006)
- Cecilia Ridgeway (Stanford University 2001-2003)
- Linda Molm & Lynn Smith-Lovin (University of Arizona, 1997-2000)
- Edward J. Lawler (University of Iowa, 1993-1996)
- Karen Cook (University of Washington, 1988-1992)
- Peter J. Burke (Indiana University, Bloomington, 1983-1987)
- George Bohrnstedt (Indiana University, Bloomington, 1980-1982)
- Howard Schuman (University of Michigan, 1977-1979)
- Richard J. Hill (University of Oregon, 1973-1976)
- Carl W. Beckman (University of Nevada, Reno, 1970-1972)
- Sheldon Stryker (Indiana University, Bloomington, 1967-1969)
- Melvin F. Seeman (University of California, Los Angeles, 1965-1966)
- Ralph H. Turner (University of California, Los Angeles, 1962-1964)
- John A. Clausen (National Institutes of Health, 1959-1961)
- Leonard S. Cottrell (Russell Sage Foundation, 1956-1958)
- Edgar Borgatta (Harvard University, 1952-1955)
- Frederick M. Thrasher (New York University, 1951)
- Helen H. Jennings (New York University, 1950)
- Jacob L. Moreno (Columbia University, 1947-1949)
- George A. Lundberg (Bennington College, 1941-1946)
- Gardner Murphy (Columbia University, 1937-1940)
- Rhoades, Lawrence J. (1981). "Chapter 7: Golden Era Dawns". A History of the American Sociological Association, 1905-1980. American Sociological Association. OCLC 8547896.
- "Journals Ranked by Impact: Psychology, Social". 2012 Journal Citation Reports. Web of Science (Social Sciences ed.). Thomson Reuters. 2011.
- Rosich, Katherine J. (2005). "Appendix 6: Editors of ASA Publications". A History of the American Sociological Association, 1980-2004 (PDF). American Sociological Association. ISBN 0-912764-43-0.