Social Enterprise UK
Social Enterprise UK (SEUK) (previously The Social Enterprise Coalition) is a community interest company founded in April 2002 in the United Kingdom. It functions as the national membership and campaigning body for the social enterprise movement in Britain.
SEUK liaises with similar groups in each region of England, as well as in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. It is a membership organisation. In 2011, more than seven thousand social enterprises were members of SEUK. Social enterprises sometimes deliver public services.
The Social Enterprise Coalition was founded in April 2002 (SEUK) as a community interest company.
Since January 2010, SEUK's chief executive has been Peter Holbrook. Previously he had worked at the social enterprise Sunlight Development Trust, based in Gillingham, Kent. In took over the role after Jonathan Bland.
In 2011, Social Enterprise Coalition was rebranded as Social Enterprise UK as it is now known. Its company name was changed from 'The Social Enterprise Coalition' to 'Social Enterprise Coalition CIC' in 2013.
In 2012, SEUK ran the 'Not In Our Name' campaign against Salesforce.com, a global software and CRM company, that had begun using the term 'social enterprise' to describe its products and had applied for 'social enterprise' trademarks in the EU, US, Australia, and Jamaica. The campaign was supported by similar organisations in the US (the Social Enterprise Alliance), Canada, South Africa, and Australia. An open letter was sent to the CEO and Chairman of Salesforce.com asking Salesforce.com to stop using the term 'social enterprise'. It was signed by people and organisations around the world, including Muhammad Yunus (Grameen Bank founder and Nobel Peace Prize laureate), Richard G. Wilkinson and Kate Pickett (co-authors of The Spirit Level). Salesforce said they would withdraw applications to trademark the term 'social enterprise', and remove any references to 'social enterprise' in its marketing materials in the future.
- "SOCIAL ENTERPRISE COALITION CIC - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk.
- "Social Enterprise UK". Socialenterprise.org.uk. Retrieved 24 May 2013.
- Jones, Ceri. "Why Social Enterprise?" (PDF). SEUK. Retrieved 12 November 2017.
- "Claire Dove OBE DL".
- "Saying goodbye to the social enterprise ambassadors".
- "Peter Holbrook, Chief executive, Social Enterprise UK - Civil Society". www.civilsociety.co.uk.
- Butler, Patrick (23 September 2009). "Peter Holbrook to take top job at Social Enterprise Coalition" – via www.theguardian.com.
- "The year in social enterprise: 2011".
- "Not in our Name". Not In Our Name. Retrieved 16 March 2013.
Following five weeks of sustained campaigning by the global social enterprise movement in summer 2012, US company Salesforce publicly announced to withdraw its applications to trademark the term 'social enterprise', and remove any references to 'social enterprise' in its marketing materials in the future.
- "Social Enterprise London announces plan to work more closely with Social Enterprise UK". Press release. SEL. 11 July 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- "Lord Adebowale appointed chair of Social Enterprise UK". www.civilsociety.co.uk.
- "Lord Victor Adebowale appointed chair of Social Enterprise UK".