"Princesa do Norte" (North's Princess)
Sobral cada vez melhor
|Settled||July 5, 1773|
|• Mayor||Ivo Gomes (PDT)|
|• Total||2,122.898 km2 (819.656 sq mi)|
|Elevation||70 m (230 ft)|
|• Density||97/km2 (250/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC-3 (UTC-3)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-2 (UTC-2)|
|HDI (2010)||0.714 – UNDP|
Sobral is the fifth largest municipality of Ceará, after Fortaleza. Its economy is based on agriculture, services and some manufacturing industries. The city has two public universities: Universidade Federal do Ceará) and Universidade Estadual do Vale do Acaraú. It also has private universities, such as Faculdade Luciano Feijão, Unopar, and UNINTA − a theological institute. The city is the seat of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Sobral.
The city is known for being the place where the astronomical observation of a solar eclipse on May 29, 1919, by a team of British scientists led by Sir Frank Watson Dyson was offered as the first proof of Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity, which had been published in 1916. The town's Museu do Eclipse ("Museum of the Eclipse") celebrates this event. There is a monument in Patrocínio Square marking the location of this solar eclipse. A planetarium was also inaugurated in 2015 next to this monument.
- Ivo Gomes (PDT)
The climate of Sobral is hot almost all year. The temperature in the municipality varies from 22 to 36 °C (72 to 97 °F).
- Universidade Vale do Acaraú (Acaraú Valley University)
- Universidade Federal do Ceará (Federal University of Ceará)
There are 105 schools in the city.
- Escola Municipal de Ensino Fundamental Sinhá Saboia
- Escola Estadual Dom José Tupinambá da Frota
- Escola Municipal Emílio Sendim
- Escola Municipal Maria do Carmo de Andrade
- Escola Municipal Mocinha Rodrigues
- Escola Padre Osvaldo Chaves
- Escola Prof Gerardo Rodrigues de Albuquerque
- colégio sobralense de tempo integral maria dias ibiapína
- Escola Sant´Ana
- Escola Luciano Feijão
- Escola Farias Brito Sobralense
- Escola José Romão
- Escola do Patrocinio
- Escola São Francisco de Assis
- colégio maria imaculada
The city has thirteen radio stations.
- Jovem Pan FM
- Rede Jangadeiro
- Rede Som Zoom Sat
- Rede Plus FM
- Coqueiros FM
- Paraíso FM
- Public Radio
- Sobral Public Radio
- Caiçara AM
- Tupinambá AM
- Educadora do Nordeste de Sobral
- Museu do Eclipse (Museum)
- Museu Dom José (Museum)
- Museu MADI (Museum)
- Teatro São José (Theatre)
- Teatro São João (Theatre)
- Biblioteca Pública Municipal (Library)
- "Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics" (in Portuguese). 2017. Retrieved March 27, 2019.
2018 Area Total
- "Brazilian Institute of Geography and Statistics" (PDF) (in Portuguese). 2018. Retrieved March 6, 2019.
2018 Estimates of Population
- Official website at the Wayback Machine (archived May 15, 2015)
- Photo of museum and monument Sobral where Einstein's theory of relativity was proven at the Wayback Machine (archived October 29, 2008)