So-net (ソネット So-netto) is a Japanese internet service provider operated by Sony Network Communications Inc. (ソニーネットワークコミュニケーションズ株式会社 Sonī Network Communications Kabushiki Gaisha), a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony.
Headquarters at Shinagawa Seaside Tower
|Industry||Information and communication industry|
|Founded||November 1, 1995|
|Headquarters||Shinagawa Seaside TS Tower, 4-12-3 Higashi-shinagawa, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, Japan|
|Hirokazu Takagaki (President)|
Number of employees
|1002 (as of December 31, 2015)|
|Parent||Sony Mobile Communications|
- November 1995 - The operating company, Sony Communication Network Corporation (SCN) was established as a subsidiary of Sony.
- January 1996 - launched ISP business.
- November 1997 - Released PostPet DX mail software.
- November 1999 - Became the first Internet service provider (ISP) to obtain Privacy Mark.
- August 2001 - started ADSL service.
- September 2001 - purchased WebOnline Networks, the operating company of "JustNet", from JustSystems.
- October 2001 - launched "Harbot" service.
- April 2002 - merged with WebOnline Networks, Ltd.
- May 2002 - started optical fiber connection service.
- March 2003 - started IP telephone service.
- December 2005 - listed on the Mothers market of Tokyo Stock Exchange.
- October 2006 - changed its corporate name to So-net Entertainment Corporation.
- July 2007 - Established MotionPortrait, Inc.
- August 2007 - Acquired So-net Entertainment Taiwan Ltd. as a consolidated subsidiary.
- November 2007 - Relocated headquarters to Osaki, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo.
- January 2008 - Listed on TSE 1st Section.
- July 2008 - Acquired So-net Media Networks Corporation as a consolidated subsidiary.
- March 2009 - So-net Entertainment Taiwan Ltd. signed a capital/business partnership contract with Chunghwa Telecom Co., Ltd. (CHT).
- February 2010 - Acquired the ISP business from USEN CORPORATION.
- May 2011 - So-Net hacked from unknown IP address. Roughly $1225 in customer's redeemable gift points stolen.
- July 2012 - Established So-net Business Associates Corporation.
- December 2012 - Delisted from TSE 1st Section.
- January 2013 - Became a wholly owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
- April 2013 - So-net launches Nuro, a FTTH service that provides 2Gbit/s internet. Initial markets include Chiba, Gunma, Ibaraki, Tochigi, Tokyo, Kanagawa and Saitama in Japan.
- July 2013 - Changed company name to So-net Corporation.
- April 2014 - Integrated “bit-drive” business, the Sony Business Solutions Corporation IT solutions service for corporations.
- February 2015 - Launched “So-net Hikari Collaboration”
- July 2016 - Changed company name to Sony Network Communications Inc.