Smile Foundation is a non-governmental organization based in New Delhi, India. It was established in 2002 and has a presence in 25 Indian states. As of 2017, the foundation reaches around 400,000 children and their families.
|Headquarters||New Delhi, India|
|Santanu Mishra, Co-Founder & Executive Trustee|
In 2002, a group of young corporate professionals came together to set up Smile Foundation to work with grassroots initiatives for effecting positive changes in the lives of underprivileged children, their families and communities. This group of people were inspired by Senge's philosophy.
The organisation has two working models: social venture philanthropy and outreach. Social venture philanthropy is a model based on the business concept of venture capital. Outreach is the model under which the organisation directly implements development projects for underprivileged communities in villages as well as urban slums across the country.
The Smile Foundation launched the Mission Education Programme in 2002. It focuses on early education development, non-formal education, remedial education and bridging courses, and concentrates on education of girls, especially in India’s rural areas.
The Smile Foundation launched a digital literacy project in 2018 as part of its Mission Education Programme. The project aims to increase literacy among underprivileged children.
In August 2018, the Smile Foundation and Triumph Motorcycles partnered to organize Ride for Freedom, a group ride across 16 cities in India to support girls' education. Proceed from the ride were donated to the #SheCanFly campaign organized by the foundation.
Swedish telecommunications company Ericsson has developed web-based training modules for the Foundation's Smile Twin E-learning Programme. In 2018, Ericsson announced it would also provide internet connectivity at 34 Smile Foundation education centers across India.
- NGO Leadership & Excellence Awards 2015 by ABP News
- Best NGO 2015 (Skill Development) by ASSOCHAM
- ICAI CSR Award 2015 for the Best CSR Project in Women Empowerment
- Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Award 2014 by ABP News
- Education Excellence Award 2013 by the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industries (ASSOCHAM)
- Corporate Excellence Award for NGO Excellence 2013 by IPE (Institute of Public Enterprise)
- Quality Initiative Mission Award 2013
- GE Healthcare - Modern Medicare Excellence Award
- Asia-pacific Child Rights Awards
- "NGO Leadership Development in India: From Pioneer-Founders to Homegrown Leaders (SSIR)". Retrieved 2 December 2018.
- "Nutrition for Children".
- "E-learning centre a stepping stone to success for poor youth in Ahmedabad".
- "Training Underprivileged Youth".
- "Programme Helps Women Acquire New Skills".
- "Mobile Hospital Launched in bangalore".
- "Washington Post on Women Empowerment Programme by Smile Foundation".
- "Smile Foundation Bestowed With Lifelong Health Award by Merck Consumer Health". businesswireindia.com. Retrieved 18 November 2018.
- "Non Profit Organization In India | Children Health And Education Foundation – Smile Foundation". www.smilefoundationindia.org. Retrieved 14 September 2018.
- "Social Venture Philanthropy".[full citation needed]
- "The Guardian on Venture Philanthropy Model".
- "Outreach Projects on Health".
- "Smile Foundation's Mission Education Providing Basic Education for Underprivileged | CSR Mandate". www.csrmandate.org. Retrieved 14 November 2018.
- Network, India CSR (8 September 2018). "How digital education can bring about a transformation in rural India". India's Largest CSR Network. Retrieved 23 December 2018.
- "Triumph Independence Day group ride for charity". Autocar India. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- Abhinand (17 August 2018). "Triumph Motorcycles India Conducts Freedom Ride Across Dealerships To Mark India's Independence". www.drivespark.com. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Ericsson expands 'Connect to Learn' initiative in India". https://www.hindustantimes.com/. 9 July 2018. Retrieved 15 January 2019. External link in
- "NGO Leadership & Excellence Awards 2015".
- "Best NGO (Skill Development)".
- "ICAI CSR Award 2015".
- "Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Award 2014".
- "Education Excellence Awards 2013".
- "NGO Excellence Award".
- "Quality Initiative Mission Award".
- "GE Healthcare - Modern Medicare Excellence Award".
- "Asia-pacific Child Rights Awards".