Sky Sport (Germany)
Sky Sport is a group of sports satellite TV channels in the German language produced and broadcast by Sky Deutschland.
|Owned by||Sky Deutschland|
|Picture format||576i (16:9 SDTV)|
|Formerly called||Premiere Sport|
(Bundesliga 1–10 HD)
Channel 221–231 (1–11 HD)
Channel 232 (Austria HD)
Channel 261–271 (1–11)
Channel 280 (Austria)
When Premiere became Sky Deutschland on 4 July 2009, the channels were renamed. Premiere Sport 1 and 2 became Sky Sport 1 and 2, while Premiere Austria became Sky Sport Austria and Premiere HD was divided into Sky Sports HD and Sky Cinema HD. Sky Sport News HD, a sports news channel, started broadcasting on 1 December 2011 in basic package (Sky Welt).
The channels that make up the Sky package broadcast from the Astra 19.2°E satellite position, using the Astra 1H, Astra 1L, and Astra 1M satellites. Channels are uplinked by Sky Italia. Between 2004 and 2016, they were uplinked by SES Platform Services (now MX1).
- Sky Sport News HD: Germany's only 24-hour LIVE sports news channel. Alongside news bulletins every 15 minutes, it broadcasts highlights, magazines, press conferences and trainings from Bundesliga's teams.
- Sky Sport Bundesliga 1: Dedicated channel for live coverage of German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga
- Sky Sport Bundesliga 2: Dedicated channel for live coverage of German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga
- Sky Sport Austria: Dedicated channel for live coverage of Austrian Bundesliga and Erste Liga
- Sky Sport 1: Live coverage of DFB-Pokal, UEFA Champions League, Tennis.
- Sky Sport 2: Live coverage of DFB-Pokal, UEFA Champions League, Tennis, Golf and Boxing.
- Sky Sport 3-11: Feed channel, only broadcast special sports events if necessary, or parallel sports events are happening at the same time.
- Sky Sport UHD: Better sports experience in Ultra HD.
Events broadcast on the channels include German Bundesliga and 2. Bundesliga, DFB-Pokal, Austrian Bundesliga and Erste Liga, UEFA Champions League, English Premier league (return from 2019), golf and professional wrestling like WWE and TNA.
Sky Sport can trace its roots back to the sports channels on the DF1 platform launched in 1996: DSF Plus, DSF Action and DSF Golf. It also has origins in the analogue Premiere channel, launched in 1993, which also used to include lots of sports.
On 1 October 1999, DF1 was turned into Premiere World and the sports channels Premiere Sport 1 and 2 were launched on the platform. When more than two simultaneous events were available, the service could be increased to up to thirteen parallel channels.
- "PREMIERE WORLD setzt mit Programm und Präsentation neue Maßstäbe für das digitale Fernsehen". Premiere World. 20 August 1999. Archived from the original on 17 July 2001.
- "Premiere verstärkt seine Präsenz in Österreich" (Press release). Premiere. 25 September 2002.
- Sky Sport on sky.de (in German)