Skift, Inc. is a media company founded in 2012 that provides news, research, and marketing services for the travel industry. It was founded by Rafat Ali and Jason Clampet.
|Founders||Rafat Ali (CEO)|
Jason Clampet (Editor-in-Chief, Skift.com)
Conferences (Skift Global Forum)
Branded content (SkiftX)
In July 2012, Rafat Ali founded Skift and assumed the role of CEO. Co-founder Jason Clampet, formerly of Frommer's, joined as Skift's head of content. For its launch, Skift raised about $500,000 in funding from investors, including L. Gordon Crovitz, Craig Forman, Jim Friedlich, Tom Glocer, Vishal Gondal, Jason Hirschhorn. In May 2013, Skift announced that it raised an additional $1.1 million in seed financing from a group of investors led by Lerer Ventures.
Skift's revenue comes from three main sources: branded content, subscriptions, and a series of global events - of which the flagship is the Skift Global Forum held annually in New York.
Type of site
Skift.com offers reporting and analysis on the travel industry.
Research and advertisingEdit
SkiftX is Skift's advertising and branded content studio. As of 2015, 30 percent of Skift's business came from SkiftX, which has created microsites, videos, and custom trend reports for companies within the travel industry.
Since 2014, Skift has held its annual Skift Global Forum in New York City to discuss the future of travel with the executives of the travel industry.
On April 4, 2017, Skift held its first "Skift Forum Europe" in London.
- "About Skift". Skift.
- "4 Years After PaidContent's $12.5 Million Acquisition, Rafat Ali Is Founding A New Media Company, Skift". Business Insider. July 30, 2012.
- "Introducing Skift: Travel intelligence, global smartness". Skift. July 30, 2012.
- "Rafat Ali 2.0: Meet Skift, the Travel Industry's Version of PaidContent". All Things Digital. July 30, 2012.
- "Skift Delivers Travel Industry Intelligence to Frequent Flyers". Wired. July 30, 2012.
- "HuffPo founder seeds travel site Skift". Crain's New York Business. May 15, 2013.
- "What are they thinking? Rafat Ali's go long, go deep vertical strategy". Politico. July 14, 2015.
- "Trump's Travel Ban Draws Growing Opposition From Tourism Executives". The New York Times. February 1, 2017.
- "Newsletters". Skift.
- "FAQs - Skift Research". Skift.
- "Hoteliers Comb the Ranks of Tech Workers to Gain an Edge". The New York Times. February 13, 2017.
- "Tweet Me! American Ranks as Chattiest US Airline: Study". CNBC. January 30, 2013.
- "Two-thirds of Airbnb listings in New York City are illegal, report says". The Verge. February 13, 2014.
- "Travel industry site Skift tries print". Politico. December 31, 2014.
- "The Megatrends Defining Travel in 2017". Skift. January 12, 2017.
- "Skift gets 30 percent of its revenue from branded content". Digiday.
- "Partners". Skift.
- "CNBC Named Exclusive Broadcast Partner of Skift Global Forum 2016". Business Wire. September 13, 2016.
- "Announcing Skift Forum Europe in London on April 4, 2017". Skift. October 10, 2016.