Jesaia Swart (born 3 July 1938), commonly known as Sjaak Swart, is a Dutch former professional footballer who played as a winger for Ajax. During his career at Ajax, he amassed a total of almost 600 matches, a record for the club.
Swart in September 2011
|Full name||Jesaia Swart|
|Date of birth||3 July 1938|
|Place of birth||Muiderberg, Netherlands|
|Height||1.80 m (5 ft 11 in)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only|
Swart is Jewish and was born in Muiderberg, a fishing village about 20 kilometers east of Amsterdam. His Jewish fisherman father sold herring at the market. As a child, he and his father concealed themselves as non-Jews during the Nazi occupation of the Netherlands from 1940 to 1945, hiding from Germans and Dutch colluders, who rounded up any Jews; nearly 75 per cent of the Dutch Jewish population was killed in those years.
- Buchheister, Hendrik (4 October 2013). "Football: Why Tottenham and Ajax Fans Have a Jewish Identity". Der Spiegel. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Ajax, the Dutch, the War: The Strange Tale of Soccer During Europe's Darkest ... - Simon Kuper
- Quixano, Jordi (2 November 2014). "Escribimos parte de la historia del fútbol" [We wrote part of the history of football]. El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- "Sjaak Swart: the forgotten genius of an Ajax legend"
- Mister Ajax: de eeuwige jeugd van Sjaak Swart - Raymond Bouwman
- Stokkermans, Karel (2010-02-05). "Sjaak Swart – International Appearances". RSSSF.
|This biographical article related to association football in the Netherlands, about a forward, is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|