Sir Henry Holland, 1st Baronet
|Sir Henry Holland, 1st Baronet|
Henry Holland, age 80
|Born||27 October 1788|
|Died||27 October 1873 (aged 85)|
|Children||unknown daughter Holland, unknown daughter Holland, Emily Mary Holland|
Born in Knutsford, Cheshire, Holland was the son of the physician Peter Holland (1766–1853) and his wife Mary Willets. Peter's sister Elizabeth was the mother of the novelist Elizabeth Gaskell, and Mary was the niece of the potter Josiah Wedgwood. He studied medicine at Edinburgh University (MA, 1811).
He had an extensive practice and was Domestic Physician to Caroline, Princess of Wales (briefly in 1814) and Physician Extraordinary to William IV and to Queen Victoria. He was also Physician in Ordinary to Queen Victoria in 1852.
Holland gained fame through his travel writings, having travelled to Iceland and through the Balkans and the Iberian peninsula, while the British were at war with France. He was also a talented society physician, and between his good looks, his charm, and his experiences and conversation, he was much in demand.
In 1822 he married, Margaret Emma Caldwell (1795–1830, known as Emma), with whom he had two sons and two daughters:
- Henry Holland, 1st Viscount Knutsford (1825–1914)
- Francis James Holland (1828–1907)
- Emily Mary Holland (1824–1908) married Charles Buxton; their son was Sydney Buxton, 1st Earl Buxton
- Elinor Anne Holland (1826–1829)
- Caroline Holland (1834–1909), author of Notebooks of a Spinster Lady, publ. posth. 1919
- Gertrude Holland (1840–1898)
- "SIR HENRY HOLLAND (Obituary Notice, Friday, October 31, 1873)". Eminent Persons: Biographies reprinted from The Times. I (1870-1875). London: Macmillan and Co. 1892. pp. 186–194. Retrieved 26 February 2019 – via HathiTrust Digital Library.
- "Library and Archive Catalogue". Royal Society. Retrieved 20 November 2010.[permanent dead link]
- Works written by or about Sir Henry Holland, 1st Baronet at Wikisource
- Recollections of Past Life By Sir Henry Holland
- Travels in the Ionian Isles, Albania, Thessaly, Macedonia, &c. During the Years 1812-1813. By Sir Henry Holland
- Works by or about Sir Henry Holland, 1st Baronet at Internet Archive
- Portraits of Sir Henry Holland, 1st Baronet at the National Portrait Gallery, London
|Baronetage of the United Kingdom|
|New creation|| Baronet