Sinking Sands is a 2010 Ghanaian drama film written, produced and directed by Leila Djansi, and starring Jimmy Jean-Louis, Ama Abebrese and Yemi Blaq. The film received nine (9) nominations and won 3 awards at the 2011 Africa Movie Academy Awards, including the awards for Best Screenplay & Best Makeup.
|Directed by||Leila Djansi|
|Written by||Leila Djansi|
The film tells the story of a couple, Jimah and Pabi, whose marriage turns into violence and abuse when Jimah becomes disfigured in a domestic accident.
- Yemi Blaq as Dr Zach Mathews
- Chris Attoh as Mensah
- Doris Sakitey as Mrs. Dodou
- Grace Nortey as Grandma
- Narki Adulai as Wedding Guest
- Louis Marcus as Jimahs' friend
- Daphne Akatugba as Patience
- Faustina Aheto as Mourner
- Avissey Gbormitah as Man under the tree
- Amanda Jissie as Ms Olu
- Trustina Fafa Sarbah as Stella
- Mrs. Julia Djansi as Panel Member
- Eddie Coffie as Obed
- Peter Etse as Priest
- Akosua Agyepong as Mama May
- Joe Akpali as Bank Manager
- Valarie Kessie as Harlott
- Archibald Etse as Son
- Afi Dzakpasu as Singer at Bar
- Samir Yaw White as Mourner
- Natascha Mieke as Dr. Samantha Rogers
- Michelle Hogba as Herself
- Lawrence Hanson as Panel member
The film was positively received by many African movie critics with NollywoodForever.com concluding that "A wonderful movie that I would recommend in a heartbeat". This shows to all those narrow-minded people that believe that you need glitz, glamour and brazilian weave to make a good movie that you DO NOT. The rawness in the movie was breathtaking and to be applauded. The acting was on point as was the cinematography."
- "Films 2011 Ghana Narrative Feature". Pan-African Film Festival. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Screening - SINKING SANDS". Zimbabwe International Film Festival. Retrieved 9 May 2012.
- "AMAA Nominees and Winners 2011". African Movie Academy Awards. 28 March 2011. Archived from the original on 3 April 2011. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "AMAA Nominations 2011". African Movie Academy Award. Archived from the original on 2 March 2011. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Nudity And Sex Sell — Leila, Ghanaian Actress". Nigerian Tribune. Ibadan, Nigeria. 30 October 2010. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- Bondzi, Jacquiline Afua (10 December 2010). "UNIFEM Ghana endorses "Sinking Sands"". The Ghanaian Chronicle. Accra, Ghana. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Sinking Sands Comes To Nigeria". Leadership Newspaper. Abuja, Nigeria: Leadership Newspaper Group Limited. 27 February 2011. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "UNIFEM Ghana endorses "Sinking Sands"". The Dallas Morning News. Dallas, Texas, USA. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- Bondzi, Jacquiline Afua. "Unifem Ghana Endorses "Sinking Sands"". AllAfrica.com. AllAfrica Global Media. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- Ofole-Prince, Samantha (11 March 2011). "Jimmy Jean-Louis Receives Best Actor nomination for 'Sinking Sands'". CaribPress. Los Angeles, California. Retrieved 10 March 2011.
- "Sinking Sands | Nollywood Forever Movie Reviews". nollywoodforever.com. Retrieved 2018-09-10.