Singles Awareness Day
Singles Awareness Day (or Singles Appreciation Day) is celebrated on February 15. each year. It is an unofficial holiday celebrated by single people. It serves as a complement to Valentine's Day for people who are single, and not married or in a romantic relationship. It is a celebration of love in all forms recognizing the love between friends, family and loving yourself. Some people who observe Singles Awareness Day do so out of spite for Valentine's Day, as a Hallmark holiday, or for other reasons.
The United Kingdom has two 'days' attributed to highlighting single status. Since Single Awareness Day spells SAD and a group of dating experts wanted to highlight a more positive tone, creating National Singles Day. It is celebrated on 11 March with the aim to empower those who identify themselves as single. It is unclear who is behind SAD in the UK.
11 March is also celebrated as Solo Poly day.
On Singles Awareness Day, single people gather to celebrate or to commiserate in their single status. Some want to remind romantic couples that they don't need to be in a relationship to celebrate life.
- https://nationaldaycalendar.com/singles-awareness-day-february-15/[full citation needed]
- National Singles Day US (14 February 2017). "Beyond Romance". NationalSinglesDayUS.org. Retrieved 1 March 2017.[dead link]
- Treye Green (14 February 2014). "Singles Awareness Day: 20 Anti-Valentine's Day Quotes For Singles". International Business Times. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Quinn Dombrowski. "20 Ways to Treat Yourself on Singles Awareness Day". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "New UK Dating Fair Brings Singles & Brands Together To Mark National Singles Day". Global Dating Insights. 10 January 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "What is Singles Awareness Day and why do people celebrate it?". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Official Polyamory Calendar". Retrieved 3 October 2019.
- "Singles Awareness Day Is The S.A.D. Alternative To Valentine's Day". The Huffington Post. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- Sharp, Elizabeth A.; Ganong, Lawrence (July 2011). "'I'm a Loser, I'm Not Married, Let's Just All Look at Me': Ever-Single Women's Perceptions of Their Social Environment". Journal of Family Issues. 32 (7): 956–980. doi:10.1177/0192513X10392537. S2CID 146368386.
- Close, Angeline; Zinkhan, George (2007). "Consumer Experiences and Market Resistance: an Extension of Resistance Theories". ACR North American Advances. 34: 256–262.
- Passmore, Dillan (13 February 2017). "Happy Singles Awareness Day". The Utah Statesman. pp. 4–5.