Singles Awareness Day
Singles Awareness Day (or Singles Appreciation Day) is a holiday celebrated by single people. It serves as a complement to Valentine's Day for people who are single, that is, not involved in a romantic relationship. It is a celebration of love in all forms recognising the love between friends, family and loving yourself.  Some people who observe Singles Awareness Day do so out of spite for Valentine's Day, as a Hallmark holiday, or for other reasons.
The United Kingdom have two 'days' attributed to highlighting the single status. Since Single Awareness Day spells SAD and a group of dating experts wanted to highlight a more positive tone, creating National Singles Day. It is celebrated on 11 March with the aim to empower those who identify themselves as single. It is unclear who is behind SAD in the UK.
Singles Awareness Day is also celebrated as National Singles Day in India Singles' Day is celebrated on 13 February as proclaimed by Nee Yaaruda Komali, a YouTube channel.
On Singles Awareness Day, single people gather to celebrate or to commiserate in their single status. Some want to remind romantic couples that they don't need to be in a relationship to celebrate life.
Common activities during include singles' events, traveling, volunteering, treating oneself to popular activities, gathering of family and friends, and gift-giving for oneself. One increasingly popular activity is to travel to Brazil and witness the Brazilian Carnival; Brazil celebrates Valentine's Day not in February, but in June. Another similar option is to celebrate Mardi Gras instead, which occurs around the same time as Valentine's Day.
- National Singles Day US (14 February 2017). "Beyond Romance". NationalSinglesDayUS.org. Retrieved 1 March 2017.
- Treye Green (14 February 2014). "Singles Awareness Day: 20 Anti-Valentine's Day Quotes For Singles". International Business Times. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "New UK Dating Fair Brings Singles & Brands Together To Mark National Singles Day". Global Dating Insights. 10 January 2017. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- Quinn Dombrowski. "20 Ways to Treat Yourself on Singles Awareness Day". The Huffington Post. Retrieved 11 February 2016.
- "What is Singles Awareness Day and why do people celebrate it?". London Evening Standard. Retrieved 15 February 2018.
- "Singles Awareness Day Is The S.A.D. Alternative To Valentine's Day". The Huffington Post. 13 February 2014. Retrieved 11 February 2016.