Sinclair Knight Merz
Sinclair Knight Merz (SKM) was a private Australian company operating across Asia Pacific, the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The company had global capability in strategic consulting, engineering and project delivery.
|Private Limited Company|
|Industry||Strategic consulting, engineering and project delivery|
|Santo Rizzuto, CEO|
Peter Scott, Chairman
Number of employees
|7,500 + (2013)|
The firm had approximately 7,500 staff working in 47 offices around the world. This workforce represents a range of disciplines including engineers, planners, architects, economists, scientists, project managers, technicians and administrative staff. The business was wholly owned by approximately 500 staff members in a partnership arrangement.
SKM’s operations are divided into four broad “Business Units”:
- Buildings & Infrastructure
- Mining & Metals
- Power & Energy
- Water & Environment
Various technical disciplines sit within these broad categories. For example, specialist rail and tunneling staff are based in the Infrastructure Business Unit.
An umbrella “Group” division contains teams responsible for specific project delivery skills, such as risk management, safety and economic planning.
The Sinclair & Knight practice was established in Sydney Australia in 1964 by Bruce Sinclair and Jack Knight. The firm grew rapidly over the next 30 years, and in 1996 it merged with Merz Australia (A firm descended from the Merz & McLellan business begun by Charles Merz) to form Sinclair Knight Merz. A series of mergers over the following ten years saw the firm’s continued expansion in size, geography and services.
- El Teniente, Chile (engineering and design)
- Hume Highway, Australia (road, bridge, drainage design and environmental management)
- Irrigation Modernisation Project, Victoria, Australia (engineering design and program management))
- The Eden Project (structural and civil design)
- Athens Olympic Stadium (structural design)
- Wembley Stadium redevelopment (seating and roof design)
- Gold Coast desalination plant (engineering and design)
- Port upgrade, Dampier Western Australia (engineering, procurement and construction management)
- The Roundhouse (London) (structural engineering and roof design)
- Project Seabird – Indian naval base (planning, design, civil and construction supervision services)
- Dublin Light Rail system (track, civil, structural and building design)
- Australian Air Warfare Destroyer program (detail design, marine engineering, risk management, infrastructure engineering)
- Albury-Wodonga Hume Freeway bypass (design)
- Central Motorway Junction, Auckland, New Zealand (strategic planning and project delivery)
- Jacobs Engineering to buy Sinclair Knight Merz for $1.2 billion
- "SKM enjoys 20% hike in 2011/12 revenue". Environment Analyst. 9 January 2013. Retrieved 19 May 2013.
- "Jacobs Completes Merger Transaction with Sinclair Knight Merz". 12 December 2013. Retrieved 4 May 2017.
- "Sinclair Knight Merz - Celebrating Over 40 years". Sinclair Knight Merz (Archived). 6 February 2008. Archived from the original on 14 March 2008. Retrieved 4 May 2017.CS1 maint: BOT: original-url status unknown (link)
- "El Teniente Mine, Engineering of Capacity Upgrade of Level 8 Ore Haulage Railway, Chile=El Teniente Mine". Archived from the original on 26 November 2009. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Hume Highway duplication package". Roads and Traffic Authority NSW. Archived from the original on 7 October 2008. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "GMW's FutureFlow wins another Victorian award for Engineering Innovation". Goulburn-Murray Water FutureFlow. Retrieved 18 December 2009.
- "Calling Planet Earth - The Da Vinci Code building has landed". The Eden project. Archived from the original on 27 October 2007. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
- "The Roof Of The Olympic Stadium For The 2004 Athens Olympic Games: from Concept to Implementation" (PDF). Prof. Spiro N. Pollalis, Harvard Design School. Archived from the original (PDF) on 17 May 2011. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
- "Building Wembley". Wembley Stadium. Archived from the original on 17 December 2007. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
- "The Gold Coast Desalination project". GCD Alliance. Archived from the original on 21 November 2007. Retrieved 27 November 2007.
- "2006 Winners". Engineers Australia WA Division. Archived from the original on 28 October 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- "Architects and Design team". The Roundhouse. Archived from the original on 18 November 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- "Project Seabird Shiplift Civil Works - Key Design Issues". Coasts and Ports: Coastal Living - Living Coast; Australasian Conference 2005; Proceedings. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- "Dublin Luas Light Rail network". railway-technology.com. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- "SKM Joins Defence Skilling Program". Australian Minister for Defence. Archived from the original on 3 September 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- "Delivering Better Roads". Australian Road Forum Road News April/May 2007. Archived from the original on 29 August 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2007.
- "CMJ - Timeline". Central Motorway Improvements - Transit NZ. Archived from the original on 20 June 2007. Retrieved 28 November 2007.