Simpelveld (Dutch pronunciation: [ˈsɪmpəlˌvɛlt] (listen); Limburgish: Zumpelveld) is a municipality and a town in the southeastern Netherlands. It is part of the municipal cooperative unit Parkstad Limburg.
Skyline of Simpelveld
Location in Limburg
|• Body||Municipal council|
|• Mayor||Richard de Boer (VVD)|
|• Total||16.03 km2 (6.19 sq mi)|
|• Land||16.03 km2 (6.19 sq mi)|
|• Water||0.00 km2 (0.00 sq mi)|
|Elevation||138 m (453 ft)|
|• Density||656/km2 (1,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
The population centre of Simpelveld has 28 national monuments, amongst which are the Oude Molen and the Saint Remigius Church. Simpelveld has a heritage railway station and is the home base of the South Limburg Railway Company. On one weekend in October there is a Day out with Thomas from the children's television series Thomas and Friends.
Besides these official centres there are other hamlets which fall under the municipality:
The municipality has two churches within its borders:
The city also has two monasteries, these are
- the Loreto monastery and
- Huize Damiaan.
Neither of the monasteries is inhabited.
Simpelveld is part of The Netherlands and therefore the official language is Dutch. A lot of people also speak Simpelvelds, a regional language that depending of the definition belongs to Ripuarian or Limburgish. It is also referred to as Southeast Limburgish.
- "Burgemeester mr. R. (Richard) de Boer" [Mayor mr. R. (Richard) de Boer] (in Dutch). Gemeente Simpelveld. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Kerncijfers wijken en buurten 2020" [Key figures for neighbourhoods 2020]. StatLine (in Dutch). CBS. 24 July 2020. Retrieved 19 September 2020.
- "Postcodetool for 6369AH". Actueel Hoogtebestand Nederland (in Dutch). Het Waterschapshuis. Retrieved 28 November 2013.
- "Bevolkingsontwikkeling; regio per maand" [Population growth; regions per month]. CBS Statline (in Dutch). CBS. 1 January 2019. Retrieved 1 January 2019.
- Media related to Simpelveld at Wikimedia Commons
|Wikivoyage has a travel guide for Simpelveld.|
|This Dutch Limburg location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|