Simon Haynes is an Australian writer of speculative fiction novels and short stories, particularly the Hal Spacejock series. Haynes also uses his experience with computers to write software which he designs for himself and then shares for free through his website. The most well-known of these programs is yWriter, a program designed specifically for composing novels. Haynes is a founding member of the Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine.
Haynes was born in the United Kingdom and raised in the south of Spain. In 1983 he emigrated to Australia with his family. Haynes' first work was published in 2000 with his short story "False Alarm" which was featured in issue 27 of Antipodean SF. In 2001 Haynes' short story "Sleight of Hand" won the 2001 Aurealis Award for best horror short story beating work by Stephen Dedman, Robert Hood, Alison Venugoban, Rick Kennett and Paul Collins. In 2008 his fourth novel in the Hal Spacejock series, No Free Lunch, was nominated for the Aurealis Award for best science fiction novel and the 2009 Ditmar Award for best novel. Haynes currently lives in Perth with his wife and two children.
Awards and nominationsEdit
|2001||Aurealis Award||"Sleight of Hand"||Best horror short story||Won|
|2008||Aurealis Award||Hal Spacejock: No Free Lunch||Best science fiction novel||Nomination|
|2009||Ditmar Award||Hal Spacejock: No Free Lunch||Best novel||Nomination|
- Hal Spacejock (2001)
- Hal Spacejock: Second Course (2003)
- Hal Spacejock: Just Desserts (2004)
- Hal Spacejock: No Free Lunch (2008)
- Hal Junior: The Secret Signal (2011)
- Hal Junior: The Missing Case (2012)
- Hal Spacejock: Baker's Dough (2012)
- Hal Junior: The Gyris Mission (2012)
- Hal Spacejock (French Edition) (2012)
- Hal Spacejock: Safe Art (2013)
- Hal Spacejock: Big Bang (2015)
- Hal Spacejock: Double Trouble (2018)
- Harriet Walsh: Peace Force (2018)
- Harriet Walsh: Alpha Minor (2018)
- Harriet Walsh: Sierra Bravo (2018)
- A Portion of Dragon and Chips (2018)
- How to write a novel (2018)
- "False Alarm" (2000) in Antipodean SF #27
- "Pastimes" (2000) in Antipodean SF #30
- "Infection" (2000) in Antipodean SF #36
- "Sleight of Hand" (2000) in Potato Monkey #1
- "Loss Leader" (2001) in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #3
- "Escape Clause" (2002) in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #4
- "The Desolator" (2002) in Andromeda Spaceways Inflight Magazine #6
- "A Piece of the Action" (2010) on Kindle & Smashwords
- "Hal Spacejock: Framed" (2011) on Kindle & Smashwords
- yWriter is a word processor which breaks your novel into chapters and scenes, helping you keep track of your work while leaving your mind free to create. It will not write your novel for you, suggest plot ideas or perform creative tasks of any kind. yWriter was designed by an author, not a salesman! yWriter5, Spacejock.com
- "Simon Haynes - Biography". Spacejock.com.au. Archived from the original on 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "Simon Haynes - Bibliography". Spacejock.com.au. Archived from the original on 2011-01-23. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "The Locus Index to SF Awards: 2002 Aurealis Awards". Locus Online. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "The Locus Index to SF Awards: 2009 Aurealis Awards". Locus Online. Retrieved 2011-01-23.
- "The Locus Index to SF Awards: 2009 Ditmar Awards". Locus Online. Retrieved 2011-01-23.