Simbionix was founded in 1998 by Ran Bronstein, Edna Chosack and David Barkay, with research and development based out of Israel. Today Simbionix is the name of a medical and surgical training simulation product line.
The company creates 3D virtual reality surgical simulators and medical education resources, used by medical students to learn how to perform medical procedures and surgeries. One of its first simulators was the GI Mentor for upper and lower gastroenterology procedures. In 2013 they released the ANGIO Mentor Suite for endovascular training. As of 2014 the company has designed simulators for sixty different interventional procedures within eight surgical specialties, on sixteen simulation platforms. That year the company released its Simbionix RobotiX Mentor for training on robotic surgery. In 2017 the company released its SPINE Mentor to help learners master minimally invasive spine surgery.
In 2014 Simbionix was acquired for $120 million by 3D Systems, a NYSE traded company, which continues to sell the Simbionix simulators. The simulators are updated over time to keep pace with changes in the medical industry. Simulations provide real-time feedback for the trainees. About three thousand simulators are in use globally.
- Minimally Invasive Surgical Procedures—Advances in Research and Application: 2012 Edition: ScholarlyBrief. ScholarlyEditions. 26 December 2012. ISBN 9781464995156 – via Google Books.
- Sagi Cohen (March 14, 2019). "Virtual Blood Vessels, 3D Printed Organs: No Animals Were Harmed in Training These Surgeons". Haaretz.
- EYTAN HALON (February 17, 2019). "VIRTUAL SCALPEL, PLEASE: ISRAELI TECH REVOLUTIONIZES THE OPERATING THEATER". Jerusalem Post.
- "Bloomberg - Are you a robot?". www.bloomberg.com.
- Issues in Genitourinary Medicine: 2011 Edition. ScholarlyEditions. 9 January 2012. ISBN 9781464964503 – via Google Books.
- Bar-Meir, Simon (1 July 2006). "Simbionix simulator". Gastrointestinal Endoscopy Clinics of North America. 16 (3): 471–478, vii. doi:10.1016/j.giec.2006.03.013. PMID 16876719.
- "Endovascular Today - Simbionix Introduces Angio Mentor Suite for Endovascular Team Training". Endovascular Today.
- Keshavan, Meghana (31 July 2014). "Simbionix acquired by 3D Systems for $120 million".
- Griffiths, Laura (18 September 2014). "3D Systems Introduces New Simbionix Robotics Medical Training Simulator". TCT Magazine.
- "3D Systems launches virtual reality simulator featuring a 3D printed spine". 3D Printing Industry. 12 June 2017.
- "Simbionix enters into an agreement to be acquired by 3D printing company". Crain's Cleveland Business. 30 July 2014.
- Orpaz, Inbal (1 August 2014). "3D Systems Snaps Up Israelâ€™s Simbionix for $120 Million". Haaretz.
- Kaplan, Joel A. (20 October 2016). Kaplan's Cardiac Anesthesia E-Book: In Cardiac and Noncardiac Surgery. Elsevier Health Sciences. ISBN 9780323463010 – via Google Books.
- Seymour, Neal; Scott, Daniel (21 June 2010). Simulation and Surgical Competency, An Issue of Surgical Clinics - E-Book. Elsevier Health Sciences. ISBN 978-1455700684 – via Google Books.
- Hawes, Robert H.; Fockens, Paul (1 November 2010). Endosonography E-Book: Expert Consult. Elsevier Health Sciences. ISBN 9781437735697 – via Google Books.