Silvano Hrelja (born 14 March 1958) is a Croatian politician who has been the President of the left-wing Croatian Party of Pensioners since 2008 and a member of the Croatian Parliament for VIII electoral district since 2003 having been elected in the 2003, 2007, 2011 and 2015 parliament elections.
|President of the Croatian Party of Pensioners|
|Assumed office |
14 March 2008
|Member of Parliament|
|Assumed office |
22 December 2003
|President||Stjepan Mesić (2003–2011)Ivo Josipović (2011–2015)Kolinda Grabar-Kitarović (2015–)|
|Prime Minister||Ivo Sanader (2003–2009)Jadranka Kosor (2009–2011)Zoran Milanović (2011–2016)Tihomir Orešković (2016–)|
|Constituency||VIII electoral district|
|Born||14 March 1958|
Hreljani near Žminj, SFR Yugoslavia
|Political party||Croatian Party of Pensioners|
|Alma mater||College of Occupational Safety and Health|
Early life and educationEdit
Silvano Hrelja was born in a small village of Hreljani near Žminj in Istria. He finished Zagreb Electrical Engineering High School, after which he graduated from the Zagreb College of Occupational Safety and Health gaining professional title of engineer of safety at work and fire protection. After graduation, Hrelja worked in Uljanik shipyard controlling safety at work. During this period, he became active in the Croatian Metal Workers Union (SMH), becoming the Commissioner of Trade Unions in Uljanik, and then regional and county commissioner of SMH for Istria.
He got involved in politics in year 2003, when he got elected to the Croatian parliament. In that year, he also became Vice President of HSU, and president of the HSU Istrian county organization. In 2007, Hrelja managed to keep his seat in the Parliament, thus becoming the only HSU MP. He supported II Cabinet of Ivo Sanader. At the 7th General Assembly of HSU that was held on March 14, 2008, he was elected President of the Party with votes of 169 out of 330 delegates.
In year 2010, he participated in the creation of the center-left Kukuriku coalition. He was reelected to the Parliament in the 2011 and 2015 parliamentary elections. In both terms, he supported Zoran Milanović (SDP) as candidate for the Prime Minister.
At the 11th General Assembly of HSu that was held on May 6, 2016, Hrelja was re-elected as president of the HSU.
- Srećko Niketić/Cropix (2011-03-24). "Posvađana trojka u borbi za prava umirovljenika -Jutarnji List". Jutarnji.hr. Retrieved 2016-07-10.
- "Hrvatski sabor - Silvano Hrelja". Sabor.hr. Retrieved 2016-07-10.
- "Predsjednik". Hsu.hr. 2008-03-14. Retrieved 2016-07-10.
- "Silvano Hrelja novi predsjednik HSU-a - pollitika: Neovisni, ali ne i neutralni". pollitika. Retrieved 2016-07-10.
- "Šaroliko društvo na putu za Markov trg: upoznajte nove saborske zastupnike iz 8. izborne jedinice / Novi list". Novilist.hr. Retrieved 2016-07-10.
- Silvano Hrelja. "Silvano Hrelja ponovno predsjednik HSU-a - Večernji.hr". Vecernji.hr. Retrieved 2016-07-10.