Sikkim Manipal University (SMU), formerly Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences, is a private university located in Gangtok, Sikkim, India. The Sikkim Manipal University started its journey in 1992, after the signing of an agreement between the Government of Sikkim and the Manipal Education & Medical Group (MEMG). The university was officially established in 1995 as Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences through The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Science Act, 1995. The name as changed to Sikkim Manipal University in 2010 through The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical, and Technological Sciences (Amendment) Act, 2009.
|Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences|
Motto in English
|UGC, NAAC, AIU, AICTE|
|Chancellor||Governor of Sikkim|
|Vice-Chancellor||Lt. Gen. (Dr) Rajan S Grewal|
|Campus||Suburban / Rural|
|Colours||Maroon and Black |
Sikkim Manipal University (SMU) is the result of a unique partnership between the Government of Sikkim and Manipal Education. Established in 1995, it is the first government-private initiative in the region. It was set up with the objective of providing the best in education for students. SMU is recognised by the University Grants Commission and approved by the Government of India.
The university has two campuses located in Majhitar(Rangpo) and Gangtok, amongst the picturesque settings of the Himalayas The medical campus in Gangtok hosts the second largest hospital in Sikkim, providing healthcare to the masses, and offers courses in medical, pharmacy, allied health and nursing while the technology campus in Majitar offers courses in engineering, management, Applied Sciences and Twinning Programmes.
Sikkim Manipal University has the following constituent institutions:
- Sikkim Manipal Institute of Medical Sciences (SMIMS)
- Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT)
- College of Nursing
- College of Physiotherapy
- School of Basic & Applied Sciences
Competition Success Review - October 2009, ranked Sikkim Manipal Institute of Technology (SMIT) as the 8th Best University Engineering College of India. SMIT Ranked amongst 17th in the Best Engineering Colleges of Excellence in India. SMIT also secured 27th amongst the Top 50 Engineering Colleges of India.
Sikkim Manipal University's Directorate of Distance Education also offers various post graduate and undergraduate programs. The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences, Gangtok is incorporated under the State Legislative Act (Act IX of 1995) of the Government of Sikkim. Sikkim Manipal University is recognised by University Grants Commission (UGC), Ministry of HRD and is a member of the Association of Indian Universities (AIU). Recognised by Distance Education Council (DEC) Sikkim Manipal University, Directorate of Distance Education offers programmes spread across 10 disciplines Sikkim Manipal University - Directorate of Distance Education offers programmes in Masters, Bachelors, Diploma and PG Diploma levels in various disciplines like Information Technology, Management, Journalism and Mass Communication, Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Apparel & Fashion Design, Allied Health Sciences, Hospitality, Telecom and Commerce The programmes are made accessible through 700+ University authorised Learning Centres across the country So far over 3 lakh students have benefited from the Distance Education programmes, taking full advantage of the 65 core faculty members and the 6,500 supporting faculty members present at the learning centres Apart from the widespread presence in India – covering 205 districts and 310 towns and cities – the University has also spread its reach overseas across 20 countries, with 25 learning centres
SMU Directorate of Distance Education offers various program like
- Masters in Business Administration - MBA with 15 Specialization options,
- Master of Science in Computer Science - MScCS,
- Master of Computer Applications - MCA,
- Bachelor of Computer Application - BCA,
- Bachelor of Business Administrator - BBA,
- Bachelor of Commerce - BCOM,
- Bachelor of Science - BSc,
- PG Diploma in Business Administrator - PGDBA,
- MBA in Health Care Services MBAHCS,
- MSc in Biotechnology MScBT,
- Master of Science in Clinical Research and Regulatory Affairs (MScCRRA)
- PG Diploma in Clinical Research and Regulatory Affairs (MScCRRA)
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Laboratory Technology (BScMLT)
- "Genesis". Sikkim Manipal University. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences Act, 1995" (PDF). Sikkim Gazette. Government of Sikkim. 15 November 1995. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- "The Sikkim Manipal University of Health, Medical and Technological Sciences (Amendment) Act, 2009" (PDF). Sikkim Gazette. Government of Sikkim. 8 April 2010. Retrieved 18 November 2019.
- Biswas, Nefertiti (2 January 2018). "Funds proved a tougher challenge than peaks". The Telegraph. Retrieved 1 December 2019.