|Nagaoka, Niigata, Japan|
|Events||Siege of Tochio|
Siege of Otate
|Uesugi Kenshin, Honjō Saneyori, Honjō Hidetsuna|
The exact date of the castle's foundation is unknown but built in the Muromachi period. In 1543, Uesugi Kenshin left Kasugayama Castle and entered the castle as a joint commander by Nagao Harukage`s order.
In 1548, Kenshin returned to Kasugayama Castle as a feudal load of the Nagao clan. The castle is now only ruins, with some earthenwalls, well and moats. Its ruins have been protected as a Prefectural Historic Site.
- "栃尾城" (in Japanese). Nagaoka city official. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "Tochio Castle". Tochio Tourist Association. Retrieved 20 October 2021.
- "栃尾城" (in Japanese). 攻城団. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "栃尾城" (in Japanese). コトバンク. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- "長岡市 栃尾城" (in Japanese). 新潟県歴史観光. Retrieved 25 July 2019.
- 小野榮 米沢藩 現代書館 シリーズ藩物語 2006 P.64 ISBN 978-4768471043