Sideways on the cover of Sideways #1 (Feb 2018)
Art by Kenneth Rocafort
|First appearance||Sideways #1 (Feb 2018)|
|Created by||Dan DiDio|
|Alter ego||Derek James|
Superhuman strength and durability
The character debuted in Sideways #1, which was originally promoted in spring 2017 as part of a group of new comic series set for release in fall 2017. They were branded as the "Dark Matter" line and their stories follow events from the Dark Nights: Metal crossover. In November 2017, the line was rebranded as the "New Age of DC Heroes" and publication was delayed until early 2018.
The first issue of Sideways was published February 14, 2018. Like the other first issues in the line, it featured a vertical gatefold cover. When closed, the cover shows Sideways exiting a portal in the sky. When opened, additional characters can be seen on the ground below him and in the sky above him.
The series ended in February 2019 with its 13th issue.
Within the context of the stories, Derek James is a Puerto Rican high school student who falls through a dimensional rift into the dark matter dimension. As a result, he gains the power to travel through dimensions.
The character has been commonly compared to Marvel Comics character, Spider-Man. Specifically the Peter Parker of the Ultimate Universe (Earth-1610). The character and comic initially received mixed reviews, with the first issue averaging 7 out of 10 according to review aggregator Comic Book Roundup. In a review of the first issue for IGN, Blair Marnell praised Rocafort's art but said the teenage dialogue was "so far off of the mark that it borders on self-parody." Bleeding Cool called the character "charming" but the story "meandering". It went on to say Rocafort's art is fantastic but not the best fit for the comic's tone. The character is part of an effort to increase diversity within the fictional setting and has received attention for being a minority character drawn by a Puerto Rican artist.
- Lu, Alexander (February 14, 2018). "INTERVIEW: Dan DiDio on crafting SIDEWAYS and how Grant Morrison will help explore the Dark Multiverse". Comics Beat. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- Schedeen, Jesse (April 20, 2017), "DC Reveals New Comics Spinning Out of Dark Nights: Metal," IGN. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- (April 20, 2017), "DC Comics superstars unite for new Dark Matter line," Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- (April 20, 2017), "Full Details of DC's New Dark Matter Line," Comic Book Resources. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- (November 9, 2017), "'New Age of DC Heroes' Titles Pushed Back To 2018," Newsarama. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- Diaz, Eric (February 9, 2018). "Meet Sideways, DC's Newest Teen Hero (Exclusive Issue #1 Preview)". Nerdist. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- (October 16, 2017), "How DC Comics' Vertical Foldout Covers For New Age Of DC Heroes," Bleeding Cool. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- (October 5, 2017), "Grant Morrison Joins Dark Matter as Sideways Co-Writer," Comic Book Resources. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- "The New Age of DC Heroes Previews: The Terrifics & Sideways #1". Newsarama. January 5, 2018. Retrieved February 21, 2018.
- "Sideways #1 Reviews (2018)," Comic Book Roundup. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- Marnell, Blair (February 15, 2018), "Comic Book Reviews for February 14, 2018," IGN. Retrieved February 22, 2018
- (January 18, 2018), "Sideways #1 Review: A Charming Character in a Meandering Book," Bleeding Cool. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- (February 14, 2018), " DC's New Age of Heroes will organically diversify the DCU," Critical Hit. Retrieved February 23, 2018
- (February 13, 2018), "DC Co-Pub Dan DiDio On 'New Age' Diversity, SIDEWAYS ," Newsarama. Retrieved February 23, 2018