Siddharth Roy Kapur
Siddharth Roy Kapur (born 2 August 1974) is an eminent Indian film producer, founder of Roy Kapur Films and the President of Film and Television Producers Guild of India. He is also the erstwhile Managing Director of The Walt Disney Company India. 
|Siddharth Roy Kapur|
Kapur promoting Barfi! in 2014
2 August 1974 |
Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Occupation||Film producer, founder of Roy Kapur Films and President of the Film and Television Producers Guild of India|
|Spouse(s)||Vidya Balan (m. 2012)|
|Relatives||See Roy Kapur family|
Early life and educationEdit
Siddharth was born in Mumbai on August 2nd, 1974. He did his schooling at G.D. Somani Memorial School where he was Head Boy, and went on to study Commerce at the Sydenham College of Commerce and Economics where he was Chairman of the Dramatics Society and Editor of the Annual Magazine. After completing his Bachelors in Commerce, he obtained a Masters in Management Studies from the Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS).
Siddharth began his career with the Procter & Gamble Company in Mumbai in brand management. From P&G, Siddharth moved to STAR TV in the strategic planning division. After a brief stint in Hong Kong as part of the Newscorp Executive Development Program, he moved back to Mumbai to work on the launch marketing of the first season of 'Kaun Banega Crorepati' on Star Plus. In recognition for the ground-breaking marketing efforts behind the success of the show, he was nominated for the Team Newscorp Global Excellence Awards. Siddharth then moved to the STAR TV Middle East operations, based in Dubai, where he was Regional Marketing Manager for the network, responsible for Ad Sales, Marketing, PR and Corporate Communications for the region.
In 2002, Siddharth moved back to the STAR headquarters in Hong Kong, as Director (Marketing) and was promoted to Vice President in 2003. At the STAR headquarters in Hong Kong, he led the Central Marketing & Creative Services team, which developed marketing campaigns for STAR channels across India, China, Taiwan, Southeast Asia, the U.K. and the U.S.
Siddharth joined UTV in Mumbai in 2005, as Senior Vice President, Marketing & Communications for the Group, across Motion Pictures, Broadcasting, TV Production, Animation and Corporate. He led the marketing efforts responsible for taking Hungama TV to a leadership position in the competitive kids broadcasting space. He also led the marketing efforts behind multiple path breaking films, including the cult BAFTA-nominated blockbuster Rang De Basanti and the sleeper hit Khosla Ka Ghosla, both of which released in 2006 and started a new trend in the way movies were marketed in India. In his next role, he took over the Revenue function at UTV Motion Pictures and was responsible for Distribution & Syndication worldwide, in addition to his marketing responsibilities.
In January 2008, Siddharth took over as CEO of UTV Motion Pictures and after the integration of UTV with The Walt Disney Company (India) in 2012, he held the role of Managing Director, Studios. Responsible for all aspects of Development, Production, Marketing, Distribution and Syndication, he led the studio to incredible commercial success and critical acclaim across a six year period, producing and releasing some of the most important and successful films of the decade, such as Taare Zameen Par, Jaane Tu Ya Jaane Na, Jodhaa Akbar, Fashion, Aamir, A Wednesday!, Dev D, Oye Lucky! Lucky Oye!, Kaminey, Wake Up Sid, Raajneeti, Udaan, Peepli Live, Welcome to Sajjanpur, No One Killed Jessica, Delhi Belly, Paan Singh Tomar, Shahid, Rowdy Rathore, Barfi!, ABCD, Kai Po Che, Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, The Lunchbox and Chennai Express. The films produced by UTV under Siddharth’s leadership won numerous awards, including prestigious National Awards, Filmfare Awards and many others, establishing UTV Motion Pictures as one of India’s most admired and successful studios. Five of the movies that were selected to represent India at the Academy Awards during this period were either produced or released by UTV.
In January 2014, Siddharth was promoted to Managing Director of Disney India, with the responsibility for driving the strategy and growth for The Walt Disney Company in one of its most important growth markets in the world. Disney India’s business spans across broadcasting, movies, consumer products, digital experiences and live entertainment, and is represented through multiple brands namely Disney, UTV, Marvel, Lucasfilm, Pixar, ABC, bindass, Indiagames and Hungama TV.
Under Siddharth’s leadership over three years from January 2014 till December 2016, Disney emerged as one of India’s leading media and entertainment companies. It produced and released India’s Highest and Second Highest Grossing Movies of All Time ( Dangal in 2016 and (PK in 2014) as well as India’s highest grossing Hollywood movie of All Time (The Jungle Book in 2016), as well as a host of other successful movies like Kick, 2 States, ABCD 2, Haider, Heropanti, Highway, Khoobsurat and Filmistaan. It also pioneered a new format of entertainment in the country, producing the first-ever Broadway-scale theatrical show to be mounted in India with a completely local cast and crew, Disney’s Beauty and The Beast, which opened to huge commercial and critical success in Mumbai and Delhi in 2015.
Siddharth is the President of The Film and Television Producers Guild of India and a Managing Trustee of the Mumbai Academy of Moving Images (MAMI). He was featured on The Economic Times Top 40 Indian Business Leaders Under 40 and The Hollywood Reporter Next Generation Asia Inaugural Class of Young Leaders, amongst numerous other awards for his leadership and achievements.
Siddharth’s mother Salome Roy Kapur, is a noted dancer, dance instructor, stage choreographer and a former Miss India. His paternal grandfather Raghupat Roy Kapur was a film producer and his maternal grandparents Sam and Ruby Aaron, were the earliest accredited teachers of Ballroom and Latin American dancing in India, with degrees from the Federal Association of Teachers of Dancing in London. His younger brothers Aditya Roy Kapur and Kunaal Roy Kapur, and his wife Vidya Balan, are well-known actors.
- Jagga Jasoos (2017)
- Dangal (2016)
- Mohenjo Daro (2016)
- Fitoor (2016)
- Purampokku Engira Podhuvudamai - Tamil film (2015)
- Katti Batti (2015)
- Yatchan - Tamil film (2015)
- Phantom (2015)
- ABCD 2 (2015)
- Filmistaan (2014)
- Pizza (2014)
- Raja Natwarlal (2014)
- Khoobsurat (2014)
- Haider (2014)
- Ivan Veramathiri – Tamil film (2013)
- Shahid (2011)
- Sigaram Thodu – Tamil film (2013)
- Satyagraha (2013)
- Chennai Express (2013)
- Ghanchakkar (2013)
- Theeya Velai Seiyyanum Kumaru - Tamil Film (2013)
- Settai – Tamil film (2013)
- Kai Po Che! (2013)
- ABCD: Any Body Can Dance (2013)
- Luv Shuv Tey Chicken Khurana (2012)
- Thaandavam – Tamil Film (2012)
- Heroine (2012)
- Husbands in Goa – Malayalam film (2012)
- Barfi! (2012)
- Mugamoodi – Tamil Film (2012)
- Arjun: The Warrior Prince -Animated film (2012)
- Kalakalappu – Tamil film (2012)
- Grandmaster – Malayalam film (2012)
- Vettai – Tamil film (2012)
As co-producer/associate producerEdit
- 2009 – Best film for Jodhaa Akbar at Filmfare Awards, Screen Awards, IIFA Awards
- 2012 – National Film Award for Best Children's Film for Chillar Party
- 2013 – National Film Award for Best Feature Film for Paan Singh Tomar
- 2013 – Best film for Barfi! at BIG Star Entertainment Awards, Zee Cine Awards, Filmfare Awards, Stardust Awards, IIFA Awards
- 2013 – Screen Award for Best Film for Paan Singh Tomar
- 2013 – Society Young Achievers Awards 2013 in the Business category
- 2014 – The Economic Times – Spencer Stuart '40 under Forty' India's Hottest Business Leaders Award
- 2017 – Best Film for Dangal at Filmfare Awards
- Exclusive Interview with Siddharth Roy Kapur, Filmfare, March 2013 issue
- Bollywood having a dream run at the box office, Business Today, 16 September 2012
- Barfi! is one of the finest films that we have produced, Koimoi, 11 September 2012
- Siddharth Roy Kapur's script for success, Daily News and Analysis 16 September 2012
- 2012 turns out to be a jolly good year for Bollywood, Business Standard, 11 December 2012
- What an idea, Sirjee!, Mid Day, December
- Forbes – 1 Nov Issue
- "NEXT CHANGE! – Siddharth Roy Kapur, CEO, UTV Motion Pictures – CEO Speak". Utvgroup.com. Retrieved 22 July 2014.
- "Siddharth Roy Kapur's Biography". Koimoi.
- "Forbes India Magazine – Movies Are Not A First-Weekend Game: Siddharth Roy Kapur". Forbesindia.com. Retrieved 22 July 2014.