The Sibelius was a train run daily by VR between Helsinki, Finland, and St. Petersburg, Russia. The service began on 31 May 1992 to ease congestion on the night service Repin after the fall of the Soviet Union increased traffic on the border. The maximum speed of the train was originally 140 km/h (87 mph), and it was later raised to 160 km/h (99 mph). Travel times between the two cities were originally over 6 hours, but they reached 5 hours and 12 minutes in 2002 and dropped further to 5 hours and 6 minutes in 2006.
|Service type||Inter-city rail|
|Locale||Russia – Finland|
|First service||May 31, 1992|
|Last service||December 13, 2010|
|Former operator(s)||VR Group|
|Line(s) used||Riihimäki–Saint Petersburg railway|
|Track gauge||1,520 mm (4 ft 11+27⁄32 in) Russian gauge|
1,524 mm (5 ft)
|Electrification||25 kV 50 Hz AC (Finland)|
3 kV DC (Russia)
|Track owner(s)||VR Group|
The service, along with Repin, was discontinued on 12 December 2010 when it was replaced by the new high speed service Allegro. Some of the carriages of the train were supposed to be used on regular traffic between Helsinki and Joensuu on IC 5/12 starting on 31 October 2011, but their introduction was delayed until 10 January 2012 due to pending homologation from the Finnish Transport Safety Agency (TraFi). For instance, the bogies of the carriages had to be changed.
- Salo, Sakari K (2011). "Helsingin–Pietarin liikenteen kehityksestä allegro". Resiina (in Finnish). Museorautatieyhdistys ry, Suomen Rautatiehistoriallinen Seura ry (173): 24–36. ISSN 0356-0600.
- Nylund, Lari (28 September 2011). "Vs: Pikajuna Karjalan radalle?" (in Finnish). Vaunut.org. Retrieved 30 September 2011.
- "Liikennetiedotteet" (in Finnish). VR Group. 9 December 2011. Retrieved 11 December 2011.
InterCity (IC 5) klo 12.52 Helsinki-Joensuu sekä InterCity (IC 12) klo 18.17 Joensuu-Helsinki ajetaan poikkeuksellisesti pikajunavaunustolla 9.1.2012 saakka.
- Nylund, Lari (5 January 2012). "Vs: Pikajuna Karjalan radalle?" (in Finnish). Vaunut.org. Retrieved 14 January 2012.
- Nummelin, Markku (2011). "Tasoristeys". Resiina (in Finnish). Museorautatieyhdistys ry, Suomen Rautatiehistoriallinen Seura ry (176): 60. ISSN 0356-0600.
- Sibelius on the VR website