Siaya County is one of the counties in the former Nyanza Province in the southwest part of Kenya. It is bordered by Busia County to the north, Kakamega County and Vihiga County's to the northeast and Kisumu County to the southeast. It shares a water border with Homa Bay County which is located south of Siaya County. The total area of the county is approximately 2,496.1 km2. The county lies between latitude 0° 26’ to 0° 18’ north and longitude 33° 58’ east and 34° 33’ west. Siaya has been split up into six new districts. Under the Constitution 2010, the role of districts are still unclear as much of administrative authority is being transferred to the county. The capital is Siaya, even though the largest town is Bondo.
Location in Kenya
|Formed||March 4th 2013|
|• Governor||Cornel Rasanga|
|• Total||2,496.1 km2 (963.7 sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+3 (EAT)|
The population in the year 2009 was 842,304.
|Local authorities (councils)|
|* 1999 census. Source: [permanent dead link]|
|* 1999 census. Sources: , , also added from District Commissioner's Office, Siaya 2001|
|2013||Cornel Amoth Rasanga||ODM||High Court in Kisumu nullified the election on 23 August 2013.|
|—||George Okode||—||County Assembly Speaker elevated to acting governor on 3 September 2013.|
Villages and settlementsEdit
- Ujwang'a,a village in siaya sublocation North East ugenya location East Ugenya Ward of Siaya county
- Marenyo, where Ronald Osumba hails from. He is the youngest Deputy President candidate in Kenya and currently the Chairman of the Youth Enterprise Development Fund
- Nyayiera, a village in Central Asembo location, Rarieda Constituency, Siaya County
- Nyamninia, a village in Yala division of Siaya County
- Nyang'oma Kogelo, a village in Karemo Division of Siaya County
- Bondo Kolalo, a village in Sihay Division, Ugenya sub county of Siaya County
- Sigul, a village in Sihay Division, Ugenya sub county of Siaya County
- Nyagondo,a village in Wagai Division,Gem sub county.
- Naya, a village in South Uyoma ward, Madiany division, Rarieda Sub-county in Siaya county
- Simerro - A village in Rangala Sub Location, Sidindi Ward, Ugunja Sub Sounty in Siaya County
- Nyamila- A village in Nyamila Sub Location, North Alego Location, the birth place of the late criminal lawyer Silvanus Melea Otieno and the late Reverend Elisha Otieno Wauna
- Usenge, a village in Kagilo Sub-Location, Central Gem ward in Siaya County. Kagilo is the birth place of Dr Joseph Aluoch husband to Lady Justice Joyce Aluoch, a judge at the ICC.
- Got Regea, was the first black Kenyan cabinet minister in the Colonial Period was born in 1913- Mr. Appolo Ohanga
- Ukalama, a village in ugunja sub-county, sigomere division, north uholo location, tingare east sub-location. This village is where the first uholo-north location chief inspector, Mr. Onyango Sylvester Wandayi, grandfather of Mr. opondo Alvin Omondi, was born.
- Nyabenge, a village in Abom sublocation, North sakwa location, Maranda Division of Bondo District where the Arch Bishop of New Jerusalem Roho Israel Church Jashon Odhiambo Were was born.
- Kagwa, a village
Majority of the population consist of members of the Luo tribe.
Notable Secondary SchoolsEdit
- St. Mary's School, Yala, a boys boarding school in Gem Constituency.
- Maranda High School, a boys National school in Bondo Constituency.
- Chianda High School, a boys boarding school in Rarieda Constituency.
- Ramba School, a boys boarding school in Rarieda Constituency.
- Ambira High School, a boys boarding school in Siaya County
- Maliera Boys Secondary School, a boys boarding school located along Busia-Kisumu Road near Kodiaga Market.
- Ng'iya Girls High School, a girls National school in Alego Constituency.
- Barding Boys High School, Boys boarding school in Siaya county
- Simero Secondary School, A mixed day secondary school located along Busia-Kisumu Road in Simero Village.
- Sawagongo High School, near Nyangweso Market along the Kodiaga-Wagai Road.
- Lwak Girls' High School, a girls boarding school in Rarieda Constituency
- Kapiyo Secondary School, a mixed day secondary school located in West Sakwa, Bondo Constituency.
- St Vincent Raliew Secondary School, a mixed day/boarding school in Rarieda Constituency.
- Kitambo Mixed Secondary School, a mixed day school in Rarieda Constituency.
- St.Christopher Palpal Secondary School mixed Alego Usonga Constituency.
- "Kenya Census 2009 - Kenya - Census". Scribd.
- "3 Candidates each for Siaya and Kibwezi polls". Independent Electoral and Boundaries Commission. 20 September 2013. Archived from the original on 1 October 2013.
- "Siaya Governor Cornel Rasanga loses seat - Daily Nation". www.nation.co.ke.
- "Gazette Notice No. 12736". The Kenya Gazette. Republic of Kenya. CXV (131): 4432. 6 September 2013. Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Otieno, Ricky (5 September 2013). "Speaker to Act As Governor for Siaya". The Star (Kenya). Retrieved 14 September 2013.
- Siaya County Website
- Siaya District Development Plan 2002 - 2008
- Map of Siaya District