Shut Up and Kiss Me (Mary Chapin Carpenter song)
"Shut Up and Kiss Me" is a song written and recorded by American country music artist Mary Chapin Carpenter. It was released in August 1994 as the first single from her album Stones in the Road. The song became her only Number One hit on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts on November 19, 1994; it also peaked at number 90 on the Billboard Hot 100. The song features Lee Roy Parnell accompanying on slide guitar, Benmont Tench on piano, Don Dixon on bass, Kenny Aronoff on drums, and Trisha Yearwood providing backing vocals. The song also won Carpenter a Grammy Award in 1995 for Best Female Country Vocal Performance.
|"Shut up and Kiss Me"|
|Single by Mary Chapin Carpenter|
|from the album Stones in the Road|
|B-side||"End of My Pirate Days"|
|Released||August 29, 1994|
|Songwriter(s)||Mary Chapin Carpenter|
|Producer(s)||Mary Chapin Carpenter, John Jennings|
|Mary Chapin Carpenter singles chronology|
The music video was directed by Michael Salomon and premiered in late 1994. It features Carpenter wearing a black shirt and white pants singing the song with a band in a studio, and a resting dog. Parnell also appeares in the video doing the guitar solo on a TV monitor.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||3|
|UK Singles Chart||35|
|US Billboard Hot 100||90|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||1|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||41|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 82. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- Ridley, Jim (October 1994). "Stones in the Road review". New Country: 56–57. ISSN 1074-536X.
- "Mary Chapin Carpenter - Grammy Awards". Allmusic. Retrieved 2008-08-10.
- "Top RPM Country Tracks: Issue 2667." RPM. Library and Archives Canada. November 28, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.
- "Mary Chapin Carpenter Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Mary Chapin Carpenter Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1994". RPM. December 12, 1994. Retrieved August 4, 2013.