Shortlands railway station
Shortlands railway station is in Shortlands, in the London Borough of Bromley in south London. It serves the southwest part of Bromley, and is 10 miles 3 chains (16.2 km) down the line from London Victoria.
|Local authority||London Borough of Bromley|
|Number of platforms||4|
|National Rail annual entry and exit|
|3 May 1858||Opened as Bromley|
|1 July 1858||renamed Shortlands|
|1892 - 1894||Quadrupled|
|London transport portal|
The station is located on the A222 road. It was originally opened by the West End of London and Crystal Palace Railway on 3 May 1858. Shortlands Junction, just west of the station, is where the Catford Loop Line joins the Chatham Main Line: the two lines are now split into slow and fast pairs through the station, which consists of two island platforms on an embankment. The station was enlarged and rebuilt to its present form in 1892-94.
Shortlands Junction was remodelled in the 1950s to allow line speeds to be increased, and was remodelled again with the construction of Ravensbourne chord (a dive-under pair of lines) in 2002 to increase the capacity of the junction, as part of the work to enhance the existing network in conjunction with the opening of the first section of High Speed 1, the high-speed link to the Channel Tunnel. Construction of the chord line might not have been justified with the current level of traffic (now that Eurostar trains no longer use the route through Shortlands to and from Waterloo).
The May 2018 Monday to Saturday off-peak service in trains per hour is:
- 4 trains per hour (tph) London Victoria via Herne Hill (Southeastern)
- 2tph to London Blackfriars via Catford (Thameslink)
- 2tph to Kentish Town via Catford (Thameslink); Mondays-Fridays AM continue to Luton
- 2tph to Sevenoaks via Swanley (Thameslink)
- 4tph to Orpington (Thameslink and Southeastern)
- 2tph to Bromley South (Southeastern)
The typical Sunday service:
- 2tph (trains per hour) to London Victoria via Herne Hill
- 2tph to London Blackfriars, calling at all stations via Catford
- 2tph to Orpington
- 2tph to Sevenoaks via Swanley
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Catford Loop Line
Bromley South Line
- "Station usage estimates". Rail statistics. Office of Rail Regulation. Please note: Some methodology may vary year on year.
- "History of Shortlands".
- "The Railways of Beckenham", Andrew Hajducki, 2011[page needed]
- "APPLICATIONS FOR THE PROPOSED RAILTRACK (SHORTLANDS JUNCTION) ORDER AND DEEMED PLANNING PERMISSION" (PDF). DTLR (now DfT). 22 June 2001. Archived from the original (PDF) on 4 March 2010. Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- "Shortlands Junction". Retrieved 16 June 2011.
- "Shortlands". Local Authorities' Rail Impact Forum. Archived from the original on 25 March 2012. Retrieved 16 June 2011.