Shirley & Company was an American disco group, consisting of Shirley Goodman (1936–2005), Jason Alvarez (now a pastor), Walter Morris, Bernadette Randle, Seldon Powell, Jonathan Williams, Kenny Jeremiah, and Clarence Oliver.
Shirley & Company
|Labels||Vibration, All Platinum|
|Past members||Shirley Goodman|
They topped the U.S. Dance chart in 1975 with "Shame, Shame, Shame" (U.S. Pop #12), and did extremely well in Europe: the song reached #6 in the UK Singles Chart and #1 in Austria, Belgium, Germany, and the Netherlands. The follow-up, "Cry Cry Cry", made it to #91 on the Hot 100 later that year.
"Shame, Shame, Shame" was written and produced by Sylvia Robinson, who was a co-owner of the All Platinum record label. It was intended for All Platinum artist Donnie Elbert. It was Robinson who paired veteran blues vocalist Shirley Goodman with All Platinum artist Jesus Alvarez. The track, with its prominent use of the Bo Diddley beat, was one of the first international disco hits and reached number 12 on the Billboard charts. It also hit number one on the soul singles chart for one week. "Shame, Shame, Shame" also went number one on the disco/dance chart for four weeks. The full-length LP Shame, Shame, Shame was recorded subsequently and came out in 1975.
The lead singer Shirley Goodman, was one half of the duo Shirley and Lee who had a mega hit 18 years earlier, in 1956, writing and recording the song "Let the Good Times Roll" for Aladdin Records. Jesus Alvarez changed his name to Jason Alvarez and became a pastor for the Love of Jesus Family Church. He recorded several gospel albums.
- Shame, Shame, Shame (Vibration, 1975)
|Year||Title||Peak chart positions|
|1974||"Shame, Shame, Shame"||12||1||1||1||1||2||1||1||9||6|
|1975||"Cry, Cry, Cry"||91||38||―||―||―||―||―||―||―||―|
|"I Like to Dance"||―||91||―||―||―||―||―||―||―||―|
|"—" denotes releases that did not chart or were not released in that territory.|
See also Edit
- Ankeny, Jason. "Shirley & Company Biography". AllMusic. Retrieved June 5, 2023.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 496. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- Steffen Hung. "Shirley And Company - Shame, Shame, Shame". Austriancharts.at. Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Shirley And Company - Shame, Shame, Shame". Ultratop.be. Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche - musicline.de". www.musicline.de. Archived from the original on March 3, 2016. Retrieved January 17, 2022.
- Stichting Nederlandse Top 40 (March 22, 1975). "Top 40-lijst van week 12, 1975". Top40.nl. Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- Songfacts. "Shame Shame Shame by Shirley & Company". Songfacts.com. Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Shirley & Company Top Songs / Chart Singles Discography". Music VF. Retrieved June 5, 2023.
- "The Love of Jesus Family Church - The Love of Jesus Family Church". Theloveofjesus.org. Retrieved April 8, 2020.
- "Chart History: Shirley and Company - Billboard Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved June 5, 2023.
- "Chart History: Shirley and Company - Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs". Billboard. Retrieved June 5, 2023.