This biography of a living person includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shigesato Itoi (糸井 重里 Itoi Shigesato, born November 10, 1948) is a Japanese copywriter, essayist, lyricist, game designer, and actor. Itoi is the editor-in-chief of his website and company Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun (‘Almost Daily Itoi News'). He is best known outside Japan for his work on Nintendo's Mother/EarthBound series of games, as well as his self-titled bass fishing video game.
Shigesato Itoi, 2015
|Occupation||Essayist, voice actor, copywriter, lyricist, game designer|
|Known for||Mother series |
"Almost Daily Itoi News"
Kanako Higuchi (m. 1993)
During the 1980s Itoi established the profession of writing copy for advertisements among the general public in Japan. Later Itoi branched into writing essays, lyrics, and into designing video games. He is best known in the US for Nintendo's MOTHER 2, released in 1994 in Japan and in 1995 in North America (as EarthBound).
In 1997, Itoi began using the Internet and bought his first Macintosh. In 1998 he started the website and company Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun (“Almost Daily Itoi News”), which is the center of his activity today. Under the theme of “creating good mood”, the website has been updated every day for the past 15 years, with Itoi’s essays on lifestyle, interviews and articles, and merchandise sales. He talks about his dog, Bouillon, and his interviews with artists, craftsmen, businessmen, etc., which tend to center on philosophical issues. Itoi has co-written several books modeled on these interviews, in which he has a series of long conversations with, for example, an expert on neurology (Kaiba "The Hippocampus"), about how to live as a human being in the world.
His latest book, Atama no naka ni aru kouen ("A park in your mind"), is the fourth anthology issue of writings collected from the 'Hobo Nikkan Itoi Shinbun'. "Hobo Nichi" (as it is called) provides its articles for free without any advertisement on the website. Merchandising of original lifestyle goods and publishing are the main business. The Hobonichi Day Planner, selling 342,000 units, is Japan’s best-seller in the category. Other products include T-shirts, towels, “haramaki” (belly warmers), calendars, and pottery.
He has voiced Satsuki's father, Tatsuo Kusakabe, in the Japanese version of the 1988 Studio Ghibli film My Neighbor Totoro. He has been a judge on several episodes of the Japanese television shows Iron Chef and Hey! Spring of Trivia. Itoi made his acting debut in 2010, when he played the role of a professor in the film adaptation of Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood.
Shigesato Itoi was the creator of the Mother series. In the original Mother for the Famicom, he was lead designer, writer and director; on EarthBound for the SNES, Itoi was producer, director and writer while in Mother 3 for Game Boy Advance, Itoi was the writer of the story.
Itoi claims that the final battle of EarthBound with Giygas was inspired from his accidental childhood viewing of the Shintoho film titled The Military Policeman and the Dismembered Beauty. Specifically, the scene that inspired the battle was a scene depicting a woman being murdered. 
Itoi has said that he would not be involved in a fourth title of the series. Itoi’s works have had an impact on other games and other media, including Undertale, Lisa: The Painful, Yume Nikki, Homestuck and others.
Itoi is an avid Monopoly player and is President of the Japan Monopoly Association (日本モノポリー協会, Nihon Monopoly Kyōkai). He also competed in the 1992 Monopoly World Championships and placed eighth. Itoi's video game development company Ape, Inc. (now Creatures, Inc.) developed two Monopoly games for the Super Famicom, with Itoi serving as producer. These versions of Monopoly were not released outside of Japan and featured a more Role-Playing experience.
- "Interview with Shigesato Itoi" (in Japanese). 1101.com. Retrieved 2009-03-27.
- Mandelin, Clyde (20 January 2009). "The Scene that Inspired Giygas". Earthbound Central. Retrieved 2009-07-21.
- "Undertale is an EarthBound Inspired Indie RPG". The Escapist. Retrieved 2018-10-26.
- "LISA is an MA-rated Earthbound and it's pretty rad - Lisa - Giant Bomb". Giant Bomb. Retrieved 2018-10-26.
- "Earthbound, Yume Nikki, and Undertale are all compared to each other. What do you think it is that ties all these games together? :: Yume Nikki General Discussions". steamcommunity.com. Retrieved 2018-10-26.
- "Shigesato Itoi Tells All about Mother 3 (Part One)". Nintendo Dream. Translation. July 2006. p. 1. Archived from the original on September 1, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.CS1 maint: others (link)
- "Shigesato Itoi Tells All about Mother 3 (Part Two)". Nintendo Dream. Translation. August 2006. p. 7. Archived from the original on September 1, 2014. Retrieved August 31, 2014.CS1 maint: others (link)
- Shigesato Itoi's Website
- Shigesato Itoi on IMDb
- Shigesato Itoi profile at MobyGames
- Shigesato Itoi manga at Media Arts Database ‹See Tfd›(in Japanese)
- Shigesato Itoi anime at Media Arts Database ‹See Tfd›(in Japanese)
- Super Mario 25th Anniversary Itoi discusses Mario Bros. with its creator Shigeru Miyamoto
- Johnny Weir!!! Itoi interviews US Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir