Sheyenne National Grassland
Sheyenne National Grassland is a National Grassland located in southeastern North Dakota in the United States, comprising 70,446 acres (28,508 ha) of public land amid 64,769 acres (26,211 ha) of privately owned land in a region of sandy soils in the vicinity of the Sheyenne River in Ransom and Richland Counties. It is the only National Grassland in the tallgrass prairie region of the U.S. The grassland provides habitat for the largest population of greater prairie chickens in North Dakota, as well as the Dakota skipper butterfly, the western prairie fringed orchid, and numerous ferns, as well as grazing land for approximately 83 cattle ranchers.
|Sheyenne National Grassland|
|Location||Ransom and Richland counties, North Dakota, United States|
|Nearest city||Milnor, ND|
|Area||70,446 acres (285.08 km2)|
|Governing body||U.S. Forest Service|
|Website||Sheyenne National Grassland|
A 25-mile (40 km) segment of the North Country Trail crosses the Grassland from east to west.
The grassland lies in eastern Ransom and western Richland counties, about 12 miles (19 km) east of the city of Lisbon. The grassland is administered by the Forest Service as part of the Dakota Prairie Grasslands from offices in Bismarck, North Dakota. There are local ranger district offices in Lisbon.
- "Sheyenne National Grassland". Geographic Names Information System. United States Geological Survey. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- "Land Areas of the National Forest System". U.S. Forest Service. January 2013. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- United States Department of Agriculture Forest Service. "The National Grasslands Story". Retrieved April 21, 2007.
- "Dakota Prairie National Grassland". U.S. Forest Service. Retrieved December 9, 2012.
- Dakota Prairie Grassland: Special places -U.S. Forest Service
- Map showing dispersed camping areas and motor vehicle accessibility
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheyenne National Grassland.|
|This article related to a protected area in North Dakota is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|