Sheung Wan (Chinese: 上環) is an area in Hong Kong, located in the north-west of Hong Kong Island, between Central and Sai Ying Pun. Administratively, it is part of the Central and Western District. The name can be variously interpreted as Upper District (occupying relatively high ground compared to Central and Wan Chai), or Gateway District (perhaps a reference to the location where the British first entered and occupied Hong Kong).
Sheung Wan Civic Centre, at the corner of Queen's Road Central and Morrison Street
Sheung Wan was one of the earliest settled places by the British, and belonged to the historical Victoria City. The site of the original occupation of Hong Kong Island by British forces in 1842 was at Possession Street, between Queen's Road Central and Hollywood Road. A plaque to this effect can be found in Hollywood Road Park at the top of Possession Street. The foot of Possession Street, Possession Point, was at that time on the shoreline, but is now several hundred yards inland due to reclamation.
Sheung Wan is surrounded by Sai Ying Pun in the west, Central in the east, Victoria Harbour in the north and Victoria Peak in the south. Part of the Mid-Levels is located within Sheung Wan. The border between Central and Sheung Wan consists of the entire Castle Lane, the entire Aberdeen Street, the entire Wing Kut Street, the section of Des Voeux Road Central between Wing Kut Street and Wing Wo Street, the section of Wing Wo Street north of Des Voeux Road Central, the section of Connaught Road Central between Wing Wo Street and Rumsey Street, and the section of Rumsey Street from Connaught Road Central to the waterside. Garfield Mansion is in Sheung Wan while Green Field Court is in Central. The border's location south of Seymour Road in the Mid-Levels is unknown.
- Blake Garden
- Hollywood Road Park
- Man Mo Temple
- Pak Tsz Lane Park
- Sheung Wan Civic Centre
- Shun Tak Centre
- Soho, Hong Kong (also part of Central)
- The Center
- Tung Wah Hospital
- Western Market
- Sheung Wan Market
- Hong Kong Museum of Medical Sciences
- YMCA of Hong Kong Bridges Street Centre
- Asia Art Archive
The Sheung Wan RouteEdit
The Sheung Wan Route is one part of Central and Western Heritage Trail designed by the Antiquities and Monuments Office and Leisure and Cultural Services Department. The route covers 35 historic buildings and sites in Sheung Wan.
Streets in Sheung Wan include:
- Aberdeen Street, marking the border with Central
- Bonham Strand and Bonham Strand West
- Bridges Street
- Cleverly Street (急庇利街). Named after Charles Saint George Cleverly, the 2nd Surveyor General of Hong Kong Government.
- Des Voeux Road Central and Des Voeux Road West
- Gough Street
- Hillier Street
- Hollywood Road (also in Central)
- Jervois Street
- Ladder Street and other ladder streets
- Man Wa Lane
- Morrison Street (摩利臣街)
- Possession Street
- Pound Lane, a ladder street
- Queen's Road Central and Queen's Road West
- Rumsey Street
- Shing Wong Street, a ladder street
- Tai Ping Shan Street, a popular shopping street
- Upper and Lower Lascar Row
- Wellington Street, Hong Kong (also in Central)
- Wing Lee Street
- Wing Lok Street (永樂街)
- Wing Sing Street
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2017)
Due to the high French expatriate population, the French International School of Hong Kong previously operated a Kindergarten campus in Shops 2-4 on the ground floor of Tung Fai Gardens (東暉花園) in Sheung Wan.
- DeWolf, Christopher "9 Hong Kong tourist traps -- for better or worse" CNN Go. 27 October 2010. Retrieved 2012-03-03
- Yanne, Andrew; Heller, Gillis (2009). Signs of a Colonial Era. Hong Kong University Press. p. 84. ISBN 978-962-209-944-9.
- "Sheung Wan: Get To Know Hong Kong's Coolest Neighborhood" Forbes. 6 June 2016. Retrieved 2016-11-03
- MTR West Land Line https://web.archive.org/web/20150709202842/http://www.mtr-westislandline.hk/en/construction/progress-update.html. Archived from the original on 9 July 2015. Retrieved 7 July 2015. Missing or empty
- "Corporate Info." Wing On. Retrieved on 6 January 2019. "PRINCIPAL OFFICE 7th Floor, Wing On Centre 211 Des Voeux Road Central Hong Kong " - Chinese address: "總辦事處 香港德輔道中211號永安中心7樓"
- "Campuses - Sheung Wan." French International School of Hong Kong. May 18, 2012. Retrieved on February 10, 2017. "Kindergarten (except RC) located at Shops 2-4, G/F, Tung Fai Gardens, 17 Po Yan street, Sheung Wan."
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Sheung Wan.|