|Occupation||stage and film actor|
Shernaz Patel is an Indian film and theatre actor, who works in Hindi and English films, most known for her roles in films like Black (2005) and Guzaarish (2010) and English language theatre in Mumbai. She made her theatre debut with The Diary Of Anne Frank in 1984. Since then, she has acted in several noted productions in Mumbai-based English theatre, and formed RAGE theatre group in Mumbai, with Rahul da Cunha and Rajit Kapur in 1993. She has also given voice to the character of Yashoda in the TV series Little Krishna.
Early life and educationEdit
Born in Mumbai, Shernaz is the daughter of Gujarati stage veterans Ruby and Burjor Patel and grew up in a theatre environment. She did her schooling at Fort Covent school, where she participated in plays directed by Pearl Padamsee. She graduated from the Elphinstone College, University of Mumbai. Subsequently, she did her Masters in Acting from the Royal Scottish Academy of Music and Drama.
She made her film debut with Mahesh Bhatt's TV film Janam (1986) alongside Kumar Gaurav. In 1992, she performed the lead in the English play, Love Letters for the first time, along with Rajit Kapoor, under the direction of Rahul da Cunha. The play is still being performed.
In 2009, she acted in screenwriter and Mira Nair's long-time collaborator Sooni Taraporevala's directorial debut film, Little Zizou. In 2011 she appeared in Rockstar. In 2012, she appeared in Reema Kagti's suspense-drama Talaash.
In 2015 she acted in a YouTube mini-series by YashRaj Films called "Bang Baaja Baaraat" along with Ali Fazal, Angira Dhar, Gajraj Rao, Rajit Kapur, Ayesha Raza, Neil Bhoopalam, Preetika Chawla and Priyanshu Painyuli.
- Janam (1986)
- Black (2005)
- Home Delivery (2005)
- Family — Ties of Blood (2006)
- Humko Deewana Kar Gaye (2006)
- Dum Kaata (2007)
- Big Brother (2007)
- Dhan Dhana Dhan Goal (2007)
- Little Zizou (2009)
- The President Is Coming (2009)
- Hum Tum Aur Ghost (2010)
- Lamhaa (2010)
- Guzaarish (2010)
- O Maria ( 2010)
- I Am (2011)
- Rockstar (2011)
- Love, Wrinkle-free (2011) Post-production
- Talaash (2012) - Frenny
- Gandhi of the Month (2012) Post-production
- Kalpvriksh (2012)
- Aatma (2013)
- John Day (2013)
- Gandhi of the Month (2014)
- Roy (film) (2015)
- Azhar (film) (2016)
- The Black Cat (short film) (2017)
- "Artise Profile :Shernaz Patel". mumbaitheatreguide. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- "Shernaz Patel and Rajit Kapur take centre stage: `Theatre is like a drug'". The Hindu. 10 March 2005. Retrieved 29 November 2010.
- Shernaz Patel Profile
- Vandana Shukla (22 July 2003). "Sharing a bond through Love Letters". Times of India. Archived from the original on 4 November 2012. Retrieved 5 February 2011.
- "Shernaz Patel returns after 23 years". MSN. 7 March 2008. Archived from the original on 6 September 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2014.
- "Rajit Kapur, Shernaz Patel and Neil Bhoopalam to perform at Times Noida festival, in Delhi". Times of India. 12 July 2014. Archived from the original on 6 September 2014. Retrieved 6 September 2014.