Sheraz Daya is a British ophthalmologist. Daya founded the Centre for Sight in 1996, and works in stem-cell research and sight recovery surgery.
Daya graduated from the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland in 1984. Following this, he interned at the Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast and from 1985 to 1988 he was a resident in internal medicine at the NY Downtown Hospital in New York. He later specialized in Ophthalmology in New York and a Fellowship in Cornea, Keratorefractive and Anterior Segment Surgery at the University of Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Daya began his career in New York City, where he served as director of cornea and external disease at the Catholic Medical Centre. In 1993, Daya became the director and consultant ophthalmic surgeon of the Corneo Plastic Unit and Eye Bank at the Queen Victoria Hospital NHS Trust in East Grinstead. In 1995 Daya was one of the first ophthalmologists to perform LASIK eye surgery in the UK. In 1996 Daya founded the Centre for Sight, where he serves as director, which opened in 1996. He has also worked in the fields of anterior segment and keratorefractive surgery, and the use of femtosecond laser during cataract surgery in the NHS.
Daya has also used stem cell treatment during corneal transplant surgeries, and was the world's first person to perform live corneal transplantation with a femtosecond laser in 2006. The technique was shown in the documentary film The Science of Seeing Again. In 2009 Daya delivered the Choyce Medal lecture to the United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons. Daya has also been interviewed regarding other trends in ophthalmology and methods of sight restoration. In 2017 Daya was shown in a BBC documentary providing advice on how laser eye surgery is supposed to be performed.
Daya has served as co-Medical Editor of the journal Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today Europe. He has also been published in the journal Ophthalmology, as well as in the journals Cornea, the British Journal of Ophthalmology, and the Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. Daya has also been published in the Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus and Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society.
In 2008 Daya received the Leadership for Improvement award from the National Health Service's South East Coast Best of Health and Health and Social Care Awards Then in 2009, Daya received the Senior Achievement Award from the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the Choyce Medal from the United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons. In 2018 Daya was awarded the Fyodorov medal by the Hellenic Society of Intraocular Implant and Refractive Surgery.
- McCormick, Emily. "Achievements of ophthalmologist recognised". www.aop.org.uk.
- "Ignore the "Gurus" and Follow the Evidence". The Ophthalmologist.
- "COS Annual Meeting and Exhibition - 2013 - Guest speakers". www.cos-sco.ca.
- "CRST Europe Chief Medical Editor Awarded 2009 Choyce Medal". Cataract & Refractive Surgery Today Europe. 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Education Education Education". Optometry Today. 14 November 2008. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Emma White. "Feature: Center for Sight". Optician Online. Archived from the original on 3 December 2013. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Sheraz Daya". 10 November 2012. Retrieved 29 April 2013.
- Stephen Dixon. "Coping with Cataracts". "Sky News". Archived from the original on 4 December 2013. Retrieved 1 December 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Haq, Wasif (2 October 2016). "Stories & Glories from Pakistan & Australia". Lulu Press, Inc – via Google Books.
- By (28 April 2005). "I lived to see my miracle" – via www.telegraph.co.uk.
- "Adult stem cells restore sight - BioNews". www.bionews.org.uk.
- "ESCRS Endophthalmitis Study results highlight annual meeting in London". www.healio.com.
- "Researcher: Implants replacing eyeglasses". United Press International. 11 April 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Artificial Cornea Allows Blind Man to See Again". Fox News. 23 December 2010. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Christine Doyle (20 April 2004). "Iris recognition brings us closer to having perfect vision restored". The Daily Telegraph. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- McCormick, Emily. "BBC investigates regulation of laser eye surgery". www.aop.org.uk.
- Daya SM; Watson A; Sharpe JR; Giledi O; Rowe A; Martin R; James SE (March 2005). "Outcomes and DNA analysis of ex vivo expanded stem cell allograft for ocular surface reconstruction". Ophthalmology. Ophthalmology. 112: 470–7. doi:10.1016/j.ophtha.2004.09.023. PMID 15745776. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Ilari L, Daya SM (July 2002). "Long-term outcomes of keratolimbal allograft for the treatment of severe ocular surface disorders". Ophthalmology. 109: 1278–84. doi:10.1016/s0161-6420(02)01081-3. PMID 12093650. |lastauthoramp=yes
- Ilari FL, Daya SM (January 2001). "Living related conjunctival limbal allograft for the treatment of stem cell deficiency". Ophthalmology. 108: 126–33, discussion 133-4. PMID 11150276. |lastauthoramp=yes
- Daya SM; Tappouni FR & Habib NE (November 1997). "Photorefractive keratectomy for hyperopia: six months results in 45 eyes". Ophthalmology. 104: 1952–8. PMID 9373132.
- Daya SM; Chan CC & Holland EJ (October 2011). "Cornea Society nomenclature for ocular surface rehabilitative procedures". Cornea. 30: 1115–9. doi:10.1097/ICO.0b013e318207f135. PMID 21642849.
- Maccheron LJ, Daya SM (June 2012). "Wedge resection and lamellar dissection for pellucid marginal degeneration". Cornea. 31: 708–15. doi:10.1097/ICO.0b013e31824000e3. PMID 22575848. |lastauthoramp=yes
- Daya SM; Bell RW; Habib NE; Powell-Richards A & Dua HS (July 2000). "Clinical and pathologic findings in human keratolimbal allograft rejection". Cornea. 19: 443–50. doi:10.1097/00003226-200007000-00007. PMID 10928754.
- Nanavaty MA & Daya SM (October 2012). "Outcomes of deep anterior lamellar keratoplasty in keratoconic eyes with previous hydrops". British Journal of Ophthalmology. 96: 1304–9. doi:10.1136/bjophthalmol-2012-302110. PMID 22863946.
- Beckingsale P; Mavrikakis I; Al-Yousuf N; Mavrikakis E & Daya SM (June 2006). "Penetrating keratoplasty: outcomes from a corneal unit compared to national data". British Journal of Ophthalmology. 90: 728–31. doi:10.1136/bjo.2005.086272. PMC 1860233. PMID 16714264.
- Giledi O, Daya SM (September 2003). "Unexpected flap thickness in laser in situ keratomileusis". J Cataract Refract Surg. Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 29: 1825–6. doi:10.1016/s0886-3350(03)00242-6. PMID 14522308. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Giledi O; Mulhern MG; Espinosa M; Kerr A & Daya SM (May 2004). "Reproducibility of LASIK flap thickness using the Hansatome microkeratome". Journal of Cataract & Refractive Surgery. 30: 1031–7. doi:10.1016/j.jcrs.2003.09.070. PMID 15130640.
- Comer RM; Daya SM & O'Keefe M (October 2001). "Penetrating keratoplasty in infants". Journal of the American Association for Pediatric Ophthalmology and Strabismus. 5: 285–90. doi:10.1067/mpa.2001.117568. PMID 11641637.
- Lindstrom RL, Sher NA, Barak M, DeMarchi J, Tucci A, Daya S, Hardten DR, Frantz JM, Eifermn RA, Parker P, et al. (1992). "Excimer laser photorefractive keratectomy in high myopia: a multicenter study". Transactions of the American Ophthalmological Society. 90: 277–96. PMC 1298439. PMID 1494824.
- "Miracle workers win two awards". Queen Victoria Hospital. 18 April 2008. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Siobhan Ryan (18 April 2008). "NHS workers awarded at ceremony". The Argus. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Past Achievement Award Recipients". American Academy of Ophthalmology. 2009. Archived from the original on 1 March 2014. Retrieved 6 March 2013. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Medal Lecturers". United Kingdom & Ireland Society of Cataract & Refractive Surgeons. 2009. Retrieved 6 March 2013.
- Administrator. "Ελληνική Εταιρεία Ενδοφακών - Scientific Program". www.hsioirs.org.