Shepparton railway station
Shepparton railway station is located on the Tocumwal line in Victoria, Australia. It serves the city of Shepparton, and opened on 13 January 1880. It is the terminus for V/Line services from Melbourne. A 725 metre long crossing loop is located opposite the station.
Southbound view in May 2017
|Location||Purcell Street, Shepparton|
|Distance||181.85 kilometres from Southern Cross|
|Fare zone||Myki Zone 15|
|Website||Public Transport Victoria|
|Opened||13 January 1880|
A number of goods sidings are located between the station and crossing loop, which is used to stable the container freight service to Tocumwal, and for shunting the now defunct oil train. Further sidings are located to the south, the first serving disused British Imperial Oil Company, Vacuum Oil Coy and C.O.R. Oil Coy depots. To the north were sidings for livestock, and a second oil terminal, which was in use until 2008, when oil services were discontinued by Pacific National. The former weighbridge siding was removed in July 1988, with the weighbridge itself and points leading to the siding removed not long after.
Boom barriers were provided at the High Street level crossing, located at the Down end of the station, in 1973.
The V/Line Freightgate centre opened at Shepparton in April 1985. Costing $100,000, it was officially opened by V/Line chairman, Mr. Keith Fitzmaurice. The centre covered 2,000 cubic metres, and could have handled 500 pallets each week. During this time, the passenger facilities in the main station building were also refurbished.
- Shepparton Vicsig
- Bob Whitehead (2008). Tocumwal Railway Centenary.
- "Seymour to Tocumwal". Network Access Information Pack. V/Line. Retrieved 2008-07-13.
- Sid Brown (March 1990). "Tracks Across the State". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 71–76.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. October 1988. p. 314.
- "Way & Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. March 1974. p. 65.
- "General News". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. July 1985. p. 212.
- "Works". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. May 1985. p. 147.
- Chris Banger (March 1997). "Rail Passenger Service Withdrawals Since 1960". Newsrail. Australian Railway Historical Society. pp. 77–82.