|Alma mater||Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya|
|Occupation||Chairman of Sangeet Natak Akademi (2015–present)|
Sen was born in 1961 and raised in a Bengali family in Raipur, Chhattisgarh. His father, the late Dr. Arun Kumar Sen, who was the Vice-Chancellor at Indira Kala Sangeet Vishwavidyalaya, Khairagarh, and mother late Dr. Aneeta Sen, were both renowned classical singers of Gwalior Gharana and Musicologists. He learned music from his parents, moved to Mumbai in 1979 to become music composer, and began singing in 1984. He started doing research oriented musical programs, such as Dushywant Ne Kaha Tha 1984 (ghazals of Dushyant Kumar), Madhya Yugeen Kaavya 1985 (sang medieval poets like Raskhan, Raheem, Lalitkishori, Bhooshan, Bihari, Kabir, Tulsidas, Sur Pakistan ka Hindi Kavya1986 (Hindi Geet, Dohe written in Pakistan), Meera Se Mahadevi Tak 1987 (Hindi songs by Poetesses) & many more innovative programmes.
Sen started his career in Mumbai in 1979, with the objective of becoming a music composer. He was contracted by HMV as a ghazal singer. He soon realized that his true talent lay in composing bhajans so he shifted to that, rendering more than 200 Bhajan Albums since 1983 as singer, a lyricist, and a composer. He sang and composed for many TV serials and films. He has performed more than 1200 concerts, singing all over the world.
Since 1998, as a playwright,actor, singer, director and composer, Sen has created one man musical plays and performed more than 1000 shows of his Mono Act Musical Plays, "Tulsi", "Kabeer" "Vivekananda" "Sanmati", "Saahab" & "Soordas". His performances received great acclaim in India as well as abroad such as US, England, Belgium, Suriname, Singapore, Jakarta, Hong Kong, Johannesburg, Sharjah, Mauritius, and Trinidad.
Sen's play, a mono-act "Soordas", premiered at NCPA Mumbai on 14 June 2013. Sen told Timeout Mumbai, "Initially, I was very apprehensive about whether to portray a blind person for two hours – a very tough task. But when I started writing [the play] I realised that people with sight can only see the world [in a 180-degree view], while those without sight are able to see the world [in] 360 degrees". In 2015, he received the Padma shri Award, and was appointed to be the Chairperson for Sangit natya Academy by Indian Government.
Awards and accoladesEdit
- Chair Person of Sangeet Natak Academy since 2015
- Padma Shri Award in Art field by Indian Government, 2015
- Sangeet Natak Academy Uttar Pradesh felicitated him with "Safdar Hashmi Puraskaar, 2001" for the contribution in the field of theatre
- Performed "Kabeer" at Lok Sabha on 4 May 2005
- V.Shantaram Samman of Maharashtra Rajya Hindi Sahitya Academy, 2008
- Performed "Vivekanand" at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 27 April 2013
- Performed "[Mono Act on life of Soordas]" at Rashtrapati Bhavan on 11 April 2015
- Performed in World Hindi Conference at Paramaribo, Suriname on 6–9 June 2003
- Served as expert committee member of Ministry of Human Resource Development (India) for 2 years
- Performed in World Hindi Conference at Johannesburg, South Africa on 22–24 September 2012
- As member of Central Board of Film Certification for 4 years
Discs and albumsEdit
|Amrit Wani||Hindi||No||Yes||Shekhar Sen,|
|Durga Sapt Shati (edited)||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal,|
|Sangeet Sandhya||Hindi||No||Yes||Shekhar Sen,|
|Aaj Tera Jagraata Maa||Hindi||No||Yes||Sonu Nigam, Alka Yagnik|
|Bhajan Vatika||Hindi||No||Yes||Udit Narayan|
|Chalisa Sangrah||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Gayatri Maha Mantram||Kannada/Tamil/Telugu||No||Yes||Hariharan|
|Hey Mahavir (Dhun)||Hindi||No||Yes||Shalini Shrivastava|
|Jay Sai Ram Jay Sai Shyam||Hindi||No||Yes||Ravinder Bijur|
|Maago Anandomoyee||Bangla||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Aami Ek Probashi||Bangla||Yes||Yes|
|Maha Mrityunjaya Mantram||Telugu||No||Yes||Hariharan|
|Mahima Mahakal Ki||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Mahima Mata Chhinnmasta Ki||Hindi||No||Yes||Priya Bhattacharya & Soham|
|Paawan Haridwar Mahakumbh||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal, Babla Mehta|
|Ram Shyam Gungaan||Hindi||No||Yes||Ronu Majumdar|
|Shakti-Maa Kaali Bhajans||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shirdi Wale Saibaba Ki Kahani(2 Volumes)||Hindi||No||Yes||Nitin Mukesh, Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shiv Aaradhana||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shree Durga Stuti Vol. 1 To 4||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shree Ram Charit Mala||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shreemad Bhagavad Geeta (Vol. 1 To 4)||Sanskrit||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shri Ganapati Sahastranamavali||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal|
|Shubh Deepavali||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal, Hari Om Sharan, Sukhwinder Singh, Kavita Paudwal|
|Tulsi Ramayan Vol. 1 To 8||Hindi||No||Yes||Anuradha Paudwal, Babla Mehta|
- "Shekhar Sen - 200 Videos on YouTube.com". YouTube.com. 12 April 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- "Shekhar Sen - 247 Videos on YouTube.com". YouTube.com. 12 April 2017. Retrieved 12 April 2017.
- Vinayak Sinha (4 June 2013). "Shekhar Sen: One-man theatre team". Hindustan Times, India. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Jaideep Shenoy (4 January 2013). "Shekhar Sen – a renowned singer, music composer and actor performed this musical monologue. The musical monologue contained rich content with moving dialogues and harmonious music". The Times of India.
- Shalini Narang (27 February 2013). "Shekhar Sen's Kabeer enthrals viewers". Hindustan Times, India. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Sankhayan Ghosh Indian Express Man of Many Avatars 17 June 2013. Retrieved 5 April 2014
- Timeout Ayesha Venkataraman. Shekhar Sen gives Time Out the scoop on his one-man show, Soordas. Archived 7 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved 5 apr.2014
- "Soordas By Shekhar Sen". NCPA.
- Timeout Ayesha Venkataraman, Soordas Archived 7 April 2014 at the Wayback Machine. Retrieved 5 apr.2014
- "Padma Awards 2015". Press Information Bureau. Archived from the original on 26 January 2015. Retrieved 25 January 2015.