Shazad Latif (born 8 July 1988) is a British actor, who starred as Tariq Masood in the BBC TV series Spooks, Clem Fandango on Toast of London, and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde on Penny Dreadful. He was most recently cast as Chief of Security Ash Tyler in the CBS All Access television series Star Trek: Discovery.
Latif in 2017
|Born||8 July 1988|
Born in London of mixed Pakistani, English and Scottish descent, Latif grew up in Tufnell Park, North London. His father was Javed Iqbal, a Pakistani. He studied at the Bristol Old Vic Theatre School and performed in many stage productions including King Lear, playing Cornwall, and Richard Sheridan's comedy School for Scandal, as Joseph Surface. He left the school a year early to take up his role in Spooks.
Spooks was his first major role on television, as the highly skilled technician and data analyst Tariq Masood. He appeared in all three series of Toast of London as the recurring character Clem Fandango, one of the studio staff recording the voiceover artist Steven Toast (Matt Berry).
In 2017, Latif was cast as the role of Lieutenant Ash Tyler in Star Trek: Discovery, after initially being announced as playing a Klingon. It was later revealed that Latif had also portrayed the Klingon Voq in the series, credited under his late father's name in order to conceal a related plot twist.
Shazad Latif played ISIS fighter Bilel in the 2018 thriller film Profile by Timur Bekmambetov. The film takes place entirely on computer screens. It premiered at the 68th Berlin International Film Festival where it won the Panorama Audience Award.
|2009–11||Spooks||Tariq Masood||Series 8–10 (Main role; 17 episodes)|
|2010||The Silence||Yousef||3 episodes|
|2011||Fresh Meat||Riz||1 episode|
|Comedy Lab||Bobby||1 episode|
|Black Mirror||Mehdi Raboud||Episode: "The National Anthem"|
|2012||Silk||Ibrahim Ali||1 episode|
|2013||My Mad Fat Diary||Dr. Nick Kassar||5 episodes|
|Love Matters||Satpal||1 episode|
|2013–15||Toast of London||Clem Fandango||19 Episodes|
|2014||Salting the Battlefield||Jez Nichols||TV film|
|2015||Ordinary Lies||Rick O'Connor||4 episodes|
|2015||The Man Who Knew Infinity||Chandra Mahalanobis||Film|
|2015||The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel||Kushal||Film|
|2016||Penny Dreadful||Dr. Henry Jekyll / Mr Hyde||8 Episodes|
|2017–19||Star Trek: Discovery||Lieutenant Ash Tyler / Voq||Main|
Initially credited under his late father's name in order to conceal a plot twist
|2019||Departure (TV series)||Ali||6 Episodes|
|2019||The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance||Kylan (voice)||Recurring (5 Episodes)|
- Britt, Ryan (2018-01-14). "Shazad Latif Reveals Which of His Three 'Star Trek' Characters He Likes Best". Inverse. Retrieved 2018-01-16.
- "Bristol Old Vic actor spooked by BBC success". Clifton People. 2014-01-22. Archived from the original on 2014-01-22. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- "Spooks: Behind the scenes on the new series". Daily Record. 2009-11-04. Retrieved 2017-10-16.
- Connolly, Kelly (May 12, 2016). "Penny Dreadful: Shazad Latif on Jekyll and Frankenstein's relationship". Entertainment Weekly.
- Andosca, Joe (14 October 2017). "Exclusive: Shazad Latif On Lt. Tyler's Inner Turmoil And Chemistry With Burnham". TrekMovie.com. Retrieved 16 October 2017.
- Holloway, Daniel (12 December 2016). "'Star Trek: Discovery' Casts Klingons Chris Obi, Shazad Latif, Mary Chieffo". Variety. Retrieved 16 October 2017.