Shaun Harold Venter (born 16 March 1987 in Witbank) is a South African rugby union player for the Ospreys in the Pro14. He is a utility back, having started matches at full-back, centre, winger and scrum-half, but since 2011 he has been predominantly used as a scrum-half.
|Full name||Shaun Harold Venter|
|Date of birth||16 March 1987|
|Place of birth||Witbank, South Africa|
|Height||1.85 m (6 ft 1 in)|
|Weight||86 kg (190 lb; 13 st 8 lb)|
|School||Afrikaans Boys' High School|
|Rugby union career|
He started his career playing for the Pumas, making more than a hundred appearances for them between 2007 and 2013. After playing for them at Under-19 and Under-21 level, he made his debut in the 2007 Vodacom Cup competition.
He joined the Southern Kings for the 2013 Super Rugby season on a loan deal from the Pumas. He immediately established himself as the starting scrum-half for the Kings, making his Super Rugby debut in the first ever Super Rugby match, a 22–10 victory against the Western Force. He played in all sixteen of the Kings' matches that season, thirteen starts and three appearances as a substitute. He scored an early try in their match against the Rebels in Melbourne to help them to a 30–27 victory and also scored the fourth try in their home match against the Highlanders, which meant the Kings achieved their first victory in the competition with an added try bonus point. He also played in both 2013 Super Rugby promotion/relegation matches against the Lions, failing to help the Kings retain their Super Rugby status.
He signed a two-year contract with the Cheetahs from 1 November 2013. He was included in the Cheetahs squad for the 2014 Super Rugby season and made his debut in a 21–20 defeat to the Lions in Bloemfontein.
- "SA Rugby Player Profile – Shaun Venter". South African Rugby Union. Retrieved 2 June 2016.
- "It's Rugby profile". itsrugby.co.uk. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "New Kings signings arrive in PE". PE Herald. 30 October 2012. Retrieved 30 October 2012.
- Silke, Norman (1 November 2012). "Falie is lánk buite aksie; Kings kry ander skrumskakels". Die Son (in Afrikaans). Media24. Retrieved 1 November 2012.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Southern Kings 22-10 Force". South African Rugby Union. 23 February 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Rebels 27-30 Southern Kings". South African Rugby Union. 13 April 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Southern Kings 34-27 Highlanders". South African Rugby Union. 11 May 2013. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
- "Cheetahs sign Shaun Venter". Media24. Sport24. 7 August 2013. Retrieved 9 August 2013.
- "Toyota Cheetahs kondig groep aan vir 2014 Vodacom SupeRugby seisoen" (Press release) (in Afrikaans). Cheetahs. 7 February 2014. Retrieved 7 February 2014.
- "Match Centre: Cheetahs v Lions". SANZAR. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 15 February 2014.
- "SA Rugby Match Centre – Toyota Cheetahs 20-21 Lions". South African Rugby Union. 15 February 2014. Retrieved 6 December 2016.
|This South Africa rugby union biography is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|