Shariatpur Sadar Upazila
Shariatpur Sadar (Bengali: শরিয়তপুর সদর) is an upazila of Shariatpur District in the Division of Dhaka, Bangladesh. Shariatpur Thana was converted into an upazila in 1984. The upazila takes its name from the district and the Bengali word sadar (headquarters). It is the subdistrict where the district headquarters, Shariatpur town, is located.
|• Total||175.09 km2 (67.60 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,200/km2 (3,100/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+6 (BST)|
Shariatpur Sadar Upazila has a total area of 175.09 square kilometres (67.60 sq mi). It borders Zajira Upazila to the north, Naria and Bhedarganj upazilas to the east, Damudya Upazila to the southeast, and Madaripur District to the south and west.
Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics
According to the 2011 Bangladesh census, Shariatpur Sadar Upazila had 45,883 households and a population of 210,259, 23.6% of whom lived in urban areas. 10.5% of the population was under the age of 5. The literacy rate (age 7 and over) was 51.2%, compared to the national average of 51.8%.
Shariatpur Sadar Upazila is divided into Shariatpur Municipality and 11 union parishads: Angaria, Binodpur, Chandrapur, Chikandi, Chitalia, Domsar, Mahmudpur, Palong, Rudrakar, Shaul Para, and Tulasar. The union parishads are subdivided into 105 mauzas and 152 villages.
The madrasa education system includes one fazil madrasa.
There is a private university in this district named Z. H. Sikder University of science and technology http://www.zhsust.edu.bd/ in bhedorgonj upazila. One newly established private medical college is also in this area named Monowara sikder medical college and hospital http://sikderhospital.com/
- "District Statistics 2011: Shariatpur" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on August 12, 2014. Retrieved July 25, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Community Report: Shariatpur" (PDF). Population & Housing Census 2011. Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Retrieved 2018-08-15. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Khan, Md. Shajahan (2012). "Shariatpur Sadar Upazila". In Islam, Sirajul; Jamal, Ahmed A. (eds.). Banglapedia: National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh (Second ed.). Asiatic Society of Bangladesh.
- "Population and Housing Census 2011: Bangladesh at a Glance" (PDF). Bangladesh Bureau of Statistics. Archived from the original (PDF) on July 28, 2014. Retrieved July 21, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "List of Institutions". Ministry of Education. Retrieved July 15, 2014. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)