Shari Springer Berman (born July 13, 1963) and Robert Pulcini (born August 24, 1964) are an American team of filmmakers.
Shari Springer Berman
and Robert Pulcini
|Born||Shari: July 13, 1963|
Robert: August 24, 1964
|Alma mater||Shari: Wesleyan University|
Robert: Rutgers University-Camden
|Occupation(s)||Film directors, screenwriters|
Both Springer Berman and Pulcini were born in New York, New York. Springer Berman graduated from Wesleyan University (Phi Beta Kappa) and Pulcini graduated from Rutgers University-Camden. Both filmmakers received master's degrees in film from Columbia University. The couple married in 1994. Springer Berman is Jewish and Pulcini is of Italian descent.
The two have a "rule" in which they often alternate whose name comes first in the credits of their movies, of which Berman says "There’s no meaning behind it. It’s very random!"
Beginning in 2019, the pair branched out into directing for television.
Awards and nominationsEdit
Awards won for American Splendor
- Boston Film Critics (Best Screenplay)
- Central Ohio Film Critics (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Chicago Film Critics (Most Promising Performers)
- Los Angeles Film Critics (Best Screenplay)
- National Society of Film Critics (Best Screenplay)
- New York Film Critics (Best First Film)
- Online Film Critics (Best Breakthrough Filmmakers)
- San Diego Film Critics (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Sundance Grand Jury Prize (Dramatic)
- Toronto Film Critics (Best First Feature)
- Writers Guild of America (WGA) (Best Adapted Screenplay)
- Off the Menu: The Last Days of Chasen's (1997)
- The Young and the Dead (2000)
- Hello, He Lied & Other Truths from the Hollywood Trenches (2002)
- American Splendor (2003)
- Wanderlust (2006)
- The Nanny Diaries (2007)
- The Extra Man (2010)
- Cinema Verite (2011)
- Girl Most Likely (2012)
- Ten Thousand Saints (2015)
- Things Heard and Seen (2021)
- Shameless season 9, episode 12 "You'll Know the Bottom When You Hit It" (2019)
- season 2, episode 4 "Safe Room" (2019)
- season 3, episode 4 "Lion in the Meadow" (2021)
- Night Sky: season 1, episode 4 "Boilermakers" (2022)
- WeCrashed season 1, episode 8 "The One With all the Money" (2022)
- Robert Pulcini
- American Splendor (2003) - "Bob the Director"
- Published: June 12, 1994 (1994-06-12). "WEDDINGS; Shari Berman, Robert Pulcini - New York Times". The New York Times. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Pfefferman, Naomi (2003-08-14). "Comic Book Icon Battles Everyday Life | Arts". Jewish Journal. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- McKittrick, Christopher (August 10, 2015). "'Follow the Book's Lead: Berman and Pulcini on 10,000 Saints". Creative Screenwriting. Retrieved August 10, 2015.
- Chiao, Peggy. "BOMB Magazine: Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini by Bette Gordon". Bombsite.com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Breznican, Anthony (2009-12-03). "Sundance premieres big-budget and low-budget films". Usatoday.Com. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Brody, Richard (25 April 2011). "An American Movie". The New Yorker. Retrieved 2013-06-11.
- Shari Springer Berman at IMDb
- Robert Pulcini at IMDb
- "Interview: Robert Pulcini and Sheri Springer Berman, Directors of 'The Nanny Diaries'", Cinematical, Ryan Stewart, Aug 23rd 2007
- "Filmmakers Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini", NPR
- "Splendid misery: an interview with Robert Pulcini and Shari Springer Berman." Cineaste, Gilbert, Anne; West, Dennis; West, Joan M., September 22, 2003
- "Shari Springer Berman, Robert Pulcini, Paul Giamatti & Harvey Pekar; Raymond Strother; Eugenia Zuckerman", Charlie Rose, (August 19, 2003)