Shapingba railway station
The Shapingba railway station (Chinese: 沙坪坝站; pinyin: Shāpíngbà zhàn) is a railway station of Chengyu Passenger Railway that is located in Shapingba District of Chongqing, People's Republic of China. It was originally opened in 1979 serving ground level tracks and has been operated as part of China Railway's Chengdu Bureau. In 1988, it was renamed as Chongqing North Railway Station, but reverted to the Shapingba name when another new station in Yubei District was opened as Chongqing North railway station. Serving only conventional services, the station was closed in 2011 for a major renovation and as part of an expansion of the Three Gorges Plaza commercial development. It was redeveloped as a fully Integrated Transport Hub, serving high speed and conventional rail, metro rail services, local city buses, taxi services and personal cars, all within a major commercial and retail complex. The railway station section of this project was reopened on 25 January 2018 and the final retail and commercial development was completed on 30 December 2020. It should not be confused with the larger Chongqing West railway station, which is also located in Shapingba District, and opened on the same day.
|Location||Shapingba Station West Lu, Shapingba District, Chongqing|
|Operated by||Chengdu Railway Bureau|
China Railway Corporation
|Station code||47066 (TMIS)|
January 25, 2018 (renovation)
- 1979: Shapingba station opened.
- 1988: Shapingba station renamed "Chongqing North Station".
- October 20, 2006: This station renamed again as "Shapingba station".with the opening of the Chongqing North Station in Yubei District
- May 8, 2011: The final service of the 5608 train from Chongqing bound for Nanchong before demolition of the station, platform and tracks.
- December 28, 2012: Construction of a new Shapingba Station, as an Integrated Transport hub project, officially started.
- May 2017: New station building begins track laying.
- October 2017: New main underground station building completed, track laying completed. Station interiors begin to be decorated.
- January 25, 2018: New station put into operation with high speed rail services to Chengdu East Railway Station.
Originally built as an above ground station, serving at-grade railway tracks. After major renovations and construction works, the current station building is mostly an underground complex serving a rebuilt sunken railway, with a retail and commercial development being built above the station complex. The redevelopment was budgeted to cost 10 Billion RMB. The renovations for the station building was opened to the public on January 25, 2018.
The main railway station consists of eight levels, one at ground level and seven underground levels. There are also 34 self-service gates in the waiting room. In the waiting area and at platform level, it is equipped with 8 barrier-free elevators and 13 escalators to facilitate passenger movements. Public toilets (including barrier-free toilets) been built at the Front Entrance, the Waiting Hall, Transfer Hall, Taxi Station and on the Bus Station levels. Parenting rooms are present in the Waiting Room and Transfer Hall. A temporary shopping area is present in the Waiting Room too. Parking for 800 vehicles is provided over four levels.
The bus station serves only local city bus services on 27 routes and an Airport Express bus to Chongqing Jiangbei Airport's Terminal 3. There are another two additional city bus stations externally to the station along the West and South Roads serving the station. Long distance buses are found at Chongqing West, Chongqing North and Chongqing railway stations.
Connection and interchange will be possible with the Chongqing Rail Transit metro system. It will be possible to connect with the existing Shapingba Station on Line 1 via dedicated underground passageways. Future heavy rail metro service will be provided by a new Line 9, currently under construction beneath the railway station. This new line is expected to open in 2020.
Commercial and Retail DevelopmentEdit
Above the station, two office towers and a retail development is under construction. Called the Shapingba Twin Towers, it is a first in China for such a mixed commercial development, as part of a railway station. The northern side of the station will also feature an open public space as part of an expansion to the existing Three Gorges Plaza. Construction of this development is expected to be complete by 2020.
- 蒋艳 (2009-10-15). "重庆几个火车站取名混乱太误人". Chongqing Morning Post. Archived from the original on 2011-02-22. Retrieved 2016-05-06. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Dai, Liu (31 December 2012). "Chongqing to be railway hub in W China in 2017". CQ News. Retrieved 14 January 2013. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 黄宇. "最后的绿皮车，带我们回到从前". Chongqing Morning Post. 2011-05-07. Archived from the original on 2018-01-24.
- 李琅; 郑友; 冉文; 李化 (2018-01-23). "沙坪坝火车站后天迎客". Chongqing Evening Post. Retrieved 2018-01-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link) CS1 maint: multiple names: authors list (link)
- "成渝双城实现62分钟互通 复兴号开进龙湖光年". 2020-12-24.
- "六年前的今晨 沙坪坝火车站送走最后一班绿皮车". 新浪网. 2017-05-08.
- "沙坪坝火车站下月铺轨". 新华网. 2017-04-22.
- "沙坪坝火车站主体完工". Chongqing Evening Post. 2017-10-02. Retrieved 2017-10-18. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "沙坪坝铁路枢纽"盖子"已完成85％，今年底到成都只要58分钟". Chongqing Times. 2017-01-19. Archived from the original on 2017-04-12.
- "渝贵铁路、重庆西站、沙坪坝站25日开通，乘车出行的你千万别走错地方！". Chongqing Morning Post. 2018-01-19. Retrieved 2018-01-19. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- 李智 (2018-01-23). "沙坪坝、重庆北、重庆西……成都赶高铁去重庆该在哪站下？". Huaxi City Daily. Retrieved 2018-01-24. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)