Shane Burgos (born March 19, 1991) is an American professional mixed martial artist. He currently competes in the Lightweight division in the Professional Fighters League (PFL). Burgos previously competed for Cage Fury Fighting Championships and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.
|Born||The Bronx, New York, U.S.March 19, 1991|
|Height||5 ft 11 in (1.80 m)|
|Weight||155 lb (70 kg; 11.1 st)|
|Reach||75+1⁄2 in (192 cm)|
|Fighting out of||Monroe, New York, United States|
|Rank||Black belt in Tiger Schulmann's MMA|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Mixed martial arts career Edit
Ultimate Fighting Championship Edit
On January 20, 2018 at UFC 220, Burgos fought Calvin Kattar. He lost the fight via TKO in the third round. Subsequently, both participants were awarded the Fight of the Night bonus. This resulted in Burgos first loss.
On March 29, 2020, news surfaced that after entertaining offers from various organizations, Burgos signed a new four-fight contract with the UFC.
Burgos faced Josh Emmett on June 20, 2020 at UFC on ESPN: Blaydes vs. Volkov. He lost the back-and-forth bout via unanimous decision. Subsequently, Burgos earned his third Fight of the Night bonus award.
Burgos was expected to face Hakeem Dawodu on January 24, 2021 at UFC 257. However, Dawodu was forced to withdraw from the bout, citing a shoulder injury. In turn, Burgos was removed from the card as well.
Burgos faced Edson Barboza on May 15, 2021 at UFC 262. Burgos lost the back-and-forth fight via knockout in the third round, experiencing a delayed reaction to being knocked out with a right cross. This fight earned Burgos the $75,000 Fight of the Night bonus award.
Professional Fighters League Edit
Following his fight with Jourdain, the last on his UFC contract, Burgos indicated he would test free agency. On August 15, 2022, Burgos announced he had signed with the Professional Fighters League (PFL).
Burgos faced Yamato Nishikawa on June 23, 2023 at PFL 6. He won the fight by unanimous decision, but was eliminated from the PFL playoffs. However, after Natan Schulte and Raush Manfio were suspended for their bout, Burgos was allowed re-entry into the playoffs.
Burgos faced Clay Collard in the semi-finals of the lightweight tournament on August 23, 2023, at PFL 9. He lost the bout via unanimous decision thus marking the first time he was defeated in his home state.
Championships and awards Edit
Mixed martial arts record Edit
|21 matches||16 wins||5 losses|
|Loss||16–5||Clay Collard||Decision (unanimous)||PFL 9||August 23, 2023||3||5:00||New York City, New York, United States||2023 PFL Lightweight Tournament Semifinal.|
|Win||16–4||Yamato Nishikawa||Decision (unanimous)||PFL 6||June 23, 2023||3||5:00||Atlanta, Georgia, United States|
|Loss||15–4||Olivier Aubin-Mercier||Decision (unanimous)||PFL 3||April 14, 2023||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Lightweight debut.|
|Win||15–3||Charles Jourdain||Decision (majority)||UFC on ABC: Ortega vs. Rodríguez||July 16, 2022||3||5:00||Elmont, New York, United States|
|Win||14–3||Billy Quarantillo||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 268||November 6, 2021||3||5:00||New York City, New York, United States|
|Loss||13–3||Edson Barboza||KO (delayed concussion)||UFC 262||May 15, 2021||3||1:16||Houston, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Loss||13–2||Josh Emmett||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on ESPN: Blaydes vs. Volkov||June 20, 2020||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||13–1||Makwan Amirkhani||TKO (punches)||UFC 244||November 2, 2019||3||4:32||New York City, New York, United States|
|Win||12–1||Cub Swanson||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Iaquinta vs. Cowboy||May 4, 2019||3||5:00||Ottawa, Ontario, Canada|
|Win||11–1||Kurt Holobaugh||Submission (armbar)||UFC 230||November 3, 2018||1||2:11||New York City, New York, United States|
|Loss||10–1||Calvin Kattar||TKO (punches)||UFC 220||January 20, 2018||3||0:32||Boston, Massachusetts, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||10–0||Godofredo Pepey||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on Fox: Weidman vs. Gastelum||July 22, 2017||3||5:00||Uniondale, New York, United States|
|Win||9–0||Charles Rosa||TKO (punches)||UFC 210||April 8, 2017||3||1:59||Buffalo, New York, United States||Fight of the Night.|
|Win||8–0||Tiago Trator||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Fight Night: Lewis vs. Abdurakhimov||December 9, 2016||3||5:00||Albany, New York, United States|
|Win||7–0||Jacob Bohn||KO (punch)||CFFC 56||February 27, 2016||1||4:52||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||6–0||Terrell Hobbs||TKO (punches)||CFFC 45||February 7, 2015||1||4:03||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||5–0||Bill Algeo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CFFC 42||October 25, 2014||2||2:35||Chester, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||4–0||Donald Ooton||Submission (guillotine choke)||CFFC 35||April 26, 2014||1||3:10||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||3–0||Myron Baker||Submission (rear-naked choke)||CFFC 31||February 8, 2014||2||2:12||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||2–0||Ashure Elbanna||TKO (punches)||Ring of Combat 46||September 20, 2013||1||2:16||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Win||1–0||Ratioender Melo||Submission (rear-naked choke)||Xtreme Caged Combat: Vendetta||July 26, 2013||1||2:14||Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States|
See also Edit
- "Shane Burgos | UFC". UFC.com. Retrieved June 6, 2021.
- Guilherme Cruz (November 28, 2016). "Undefeated prospect Shane Burgos signs with the UFC, meets Tiago Trator in Albany". mmafighting.com. Retrieved November 28, 2016.
- Steven Marrocco (December 9, 2016). "UFC Fight Night 102 results: Shane Burgos gets haircut, slugs his way past Tiago Trator". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved December 9, 2016.
- Staff (January 27, 2017). "More bouts added to UFC 210 in Buffalo". buffalonews.com. Retrieved January 27, 2017.
- Ben Fowlkes (April 8, 2017). "UFC 210 results: Shane Burgos drops Charles Rosa, wins by third-round TKO to stay unbeaten". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 8, 2017.
- Tristen Critchfield (April 8, 2017). "UFC 210 Bonuses: Oliveira, Burgos, Rosa, Gillespie receive $50K Awards". sherdog.com. Retrieved April 9, 2017.
- Marcel Dorff (May 24, 2017). "Undefeated Shane Burgos crosses paths with Godofredo Pepey in New York" (in Dutch). mmadna.nl. Retrieved May 24, 2017.
- "UFC on FOX 25 results: Shane Burgos unfazed by Godofredo Pepey, wins easy unanimous decision". MMAjunkie. July 22, 2017. Retrieved July 23, 2017.
- "Ongeslagen Shane Burgos vecht tegen Calvin Kattar tijdens UFC 220 in Boston". mmadna.nl. Retrieved November 12, 2017.
- "UFC 220 results: Calvin Kattar holds true to nickname, takes out Shane Burgos in third". MMAjunkie. January 21, 2018. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- "UFC 220 bonuses: Daniel Cormier, Abdul Razak Alhassan among $50,000 winners". MMAjunkie. January 21, 2018. Retrieved January 21, 2018.
- Mark La Monica (August 30, 2018). "UFC 230 in New York City gets more local flavor". newsday.com. Retrieved August 30, 2018.
- "UFC 230 results: Shane Burgos submits Kurt Holobaugh in opening round". MMA Fighting. Retrieved November 3, 2018.
- "Shane Burgos vs. Cub Swanson added to UFC on ESPN+ 8 in Ottawa". MMA Junkie. March 27, 2019. Retrieved March 28, 2019.
- "UFC on ESPN+ 9 results: Shane Burgos edges Cub Swanson via split decision". MMA Junkie. May 5, 2019. Retrieved May 5, 2019.
- Ryan Gerbosi (September 18, 2019). "A little more New York flavor added to UFC 244 with Shane Burgos fight". newsday.com. Retrieved September 18, 2019.
- Doherty, Dan (November 2, 2019). "UFC 244 Results: Shane Burgos Batters Makwan Amirkhani With Late Stoppage". Cageside Press. Retrieved November 3, 2019.
- Danny Segura (March 29, 2020). "Shane Burgos says USADA one of the reasons he re-signed with UFC". mmajunkie.com.
- Staff (May 21, 2020). "Josh Emmett vs. Shane Burgos on June 20 at a location to be determined". mmadna.nl. Retrieved May 21, 2020. (in Dutch)
- Josh Evanoff (June 21, 2020). "UFC on ESPN 11: Josh Emmett Tops Shane Burgos in All-Out War". Cageside Press. Retrieved June 21, 2020.
- Stephie Haynes (June 21, 2020). "UFC On ESPN 11 bonuses: Emmett-Burgos put on FOTN slobberknocker". bloodyelbow.com. Retrieved June 21, 2020.
- Tristen Critchfield (2020-11-24). "Shane Burgos vs. Hakeem Dawodu booked for UFC 257". sherdog.com. Retrieved 2020-11-24.
- "Injury forces Hakeem Dawodu out of UFC 257 clash with Shane Burgos". MMA Junkie. 2021-01-09. Retrieved 2021-01-10.
- Guilherme Cruz and Mike Heck (2021-03-02). "Edson Barboza vs. Shane Burgos set for UFC 262". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-03-02.
- Anderson, Jay (2021-05-15). "UFC 262 Results: Edson Barboza Finishes Shane Burgos in Third Round of Thriller". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Steven Marrocco (2021-05-16). "UFC 262 bonuses: New champ Charles Oliveira banks $75k for Michael Chandler knockout". mmafighting.com. Retrieved 2021-05-16.
- Dorff, Marcel (2021-09-03). "BREAKING: Shane Burgos vs. Billy Quarantillo toegevoegd aan UFC 268 in New York". MMA DNA. Retrieved 2021-09-03.
- Anderson, Jay (2021-11-06). "UFC 268 Results: Shane Burgos Wins Decision Against Gutsy Billy Quarantillo". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2021-11-07.
- King, Kristen (2022-06-02). "Shane Burgos vs. Charles Jourdain confirmed for UFC Long Island". Bloody Elbow. Retrieved 2022-06-03.
- Anderson, Jay (2022-07-16). "UFC Long Island: Shane Burgos vs. Charles Jourdain Entertains, Ends in Majority Decision for "Hurricane"". Cageside Press. Retrieved 2022-07-17.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2022-08-15). "Shane Burgos announces move to PFL". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2022-08-15.
- "2022 PFL Championships lineup set for Thanksgiving week pay-per-view, includes 6 title fights and more". MMA Junkie. 2022-09-28. Retrieved 2022-09-29.
- Staff (2022-11-06). "Shane Burgos injured, withdraws from PFL debut fight vs. Marlon Moraes". mmajunkie.usatoday.com. Retrieved 2022-11-07.
- "Loughnane-Moraes to kick off 2023 PFL season". ESPN.com. 2023-02-02. Retrieved 2023-02-03.
- "2023 PFL 3: Olivier Aubin-Mercier spoils Shane Burgos' debut, wins unanimous decision". MMA Junkie. 2023-04-15. Retrieved 2023-04-15.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2023-05-12). "PFL announces second-half event lineups following 9 fighters receiving drug test suspensions". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2023-05-14.
- Al-Shatti, Shaun (2023-06-24). "PFL 6 results: Olivier Aubin-Mercier advances with wicked knee knockout; Shane Burgos misses playoffs". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2023-06-24.
- Lee, Alexander K. (2023-06-24). "Natan Schulte and Raush Manfio suspended by PFL for substandard fight, Shane Burgos now in playoffs". MMA Fighting. Retrieved 2023-06-24.
- "2023 PFL PLAYOFF CARDS FINALIZED FOR NEW YORK CITY AUGUST 18 & 23". Professional Fighters League. July 12, 2023.
- Fontana, Scott (2023-08-24). "Bronx native Shane Burgos comes up short against Clay Collard in PFL semifinals". New York Post. Retrieved 2023-09-06.
- Sherdog.com. "Shane". Sherdog. Retrieved November 3, 2019.