Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde (born 25 December 1967) is a Nigerian Businessman, Politician and Philanthropist. He is the current Governor of Oyo State. He is an Engineer and a subject matter expert on fluid and Gas Metering. He is the Group Managing Director of Makon Group Limited; an indigenous oil and gas company in Nigeria. He established his first oil and gas private business called Makon Engineering and Technical Services, (METS) at the age of 29 in the year 1997, after earning years of work experience with international oil and gas companies.
Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde
Seyi Makinde at LSE Africa Summit
|Governor of Oyo State|
|Assumed office |
May 29, 2019
|Preceded by||Abiola Ajimobi|
Oluseyi Abiodun Makinde
December 25, 1967
|Political party||People's Democratic Party|
|Education||University of Lagos|
|Known for||Group Managing Director of Makon Group Limited|
Early life and educationEdit
Makinde began his education at St Paul Primary School and completed his primary education at St Michael Primary School, Yemetu, Ibadan. His secondary education was at Bishop Phillips Academy, Monatan, Ibadan. In 1985, he gained admission to the University of Lagos (Unilag) where he earned his bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering.
In 1998, Oluwaseyi trained at Industrial Control Services in Houston, Texas on Safety Shutdown System; and Development of Analytical Competence for Managing Operations at Lagos Business School (now Pan-Atlantic University)in 1999. In 2000, he had training in automation. In 2002, he studied Fundamentals of Crude Sampling at Jiskoot Auto Control Training Centre, Kent, England. Also, in 2005, he studied Understanding and Solving Complex Business Problems at Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), USA.
Professional and business careerEdit
Makinde did his national service (NYSC) with Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC) of Nigeria, where he was later engaged as a pupil engineer. He served in different capacities; handling and partaking in several key projects between 1990 and 1992. From 1992 to 1997, he worked as a field Engineer (Eket operations) for Rebold International Limited and in 1995, he was appointed as Field Manager in the same company.
In 1997, Makinde established his first business, Makon Engineering and Technical Services Limited (METS), after working for five years (1992-1997) with various international oil and gas companies (IOCs), as the Engineering Manager. He is now the Group Managing Director of Makon Group of Companies.
Makinde is a member of national and international professional bodies notably: Nigerian Society of Engineers (NSE), Council for Regulations of Engineering in Nigeria(COREN), Oil and Gas Design Engineers of Nigeria (OGDEN), International Society of Automation (ISA), Institute of Measurement and Control UK; and American Measurement Institute (AMI).
In 2007, Makinde contested for the Oyo South Senatorial seat under the platform of the All Nigeria Peoples Party (ANPP) but lost to the People's Democratic Party candidate- Kamoru Adedibu. Makinde remained undeterred by his first failed attempt and in 2010; under the People's Democratic Party, PDP, he aspired for the Oyo South 2011 Senatorial seat but lost the primary to the incumbent Oyo South Senator.
In 2014, Makinde aimed for the Oyo State 2015 governorship ticket under the platform of the People's Democratic Party (PDP). In December 2014, upon the conclusion of the party's primary election, he was denied the governorship nomination ticket. Makinde however, remained true to his ambition and defected to the Social Democratic Party (SDP), under which platform he contested for the Oyo State 2015 SDP gubernatorial candidate, but lost out in the end.
In September 2017, the Caretaker National Chairman of PDP, Senator Ahmed Makarfi visited him in Ibadan and following extensive, deep and wide consultations with National Leaders, Oyo State leaders and elders of the Social Democratic Party, and cross sections of strategic partners within Oyo State, Engineer Seyi Makinde returned to his former political party, People's Democratic Party (PDP). He maintained that joining the PDP was not for personal gains but for the development of the State by finding lasting solutions to the array of problems facing the State. On September 29, 2018, Makinde emerged as the gubernatorial candidate of the People's Democratic Party (PDP) for the 2019 general elections for Oyo State, after polling 2772 votes at the primary election that took place at liberty stadium,Oke Ado in Ibadan.
On March 9, 2019, Makinde polled 515, 621 votes defeating his closest rival, Mr Adebayo Adelabu of the All Progressive Party who polled 357,982 votes. The All Progressives Congress (APC), during the General elections. Mr. Seyi Makinde was elected into the Office of the Governor of Oyo State at the 2019 Gubernatorial elections for Oyo State which held on March 9, 2019.
Seyi Makinde on 29 May 2019 was sworn in as the 28th executive Governor of Oyo State. Makinde takes over from Late Senator Abiola Ajimobi after the latter's eight years in office.
Awards and recognitionsEdit
- Nigerian Union of Journalists (Oyo State Council)-Laudable Contribution to Humanity Merit Award.
- National Association of Oke-Ogun Students (Ibadan)-Merit Award.
- Fiditi Grammar School (Oyo State)-Old Student Merit Award in appreciation to the commitment, dedication and service to the association and humanity.
- Junior Chamber International (JCI) University of Calabar Chapter.-Entrepreneurial Excellence Award.
- Sports Writers Association of Nigeria (Oyo State Chapter)-Gold Merit Award for immense and invaluable contribution to sports development.
- Nigerian Association of Social Workers Merit Awards (Oyo State Chapter)-Philanthropic gestures and contribution to Social Care Delivery Services.
- CCII National Merit Award.
- Federal Radio Corporation of Nigeria (Ibadan) - awarded Seyi "Astute Politician of the Year 2018" for his resilience with which he had continued to assist the less privileged in the society.
Oluwaseyi lives in Ibadan, Oyo State. He is married to Tamunominini, and they have three children.
- "Nigeria: Makinde - Profile of Oyo Guber PDP Aspirant". AllAfrica. September 21, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- BISI, OLADELE (December 23, 2015). "Oyo 2015: Four Ibadan indigenes for governor". The Nation Online NG. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "TBY talks to Oluseyi Makinde, Group Managing Director of Makon Group, on the Nigerian Content Act, collaborating with partners, and the transforming regulatory landscape". The Business Year. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "MAKON'S DAY OF GLORY". The Nigerian Voice. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- Daniel (January 28, 2015). "Oyo SDP Gov Candidate Pledges To Donate Salary To Teachers Pension If Elected". informationng.com. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "I will lead by example –Olubadan". The Punch Nigeria. March 18, 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Court fixes March 23 for suit against Oyo SDP guber candidate". Premium Times. March 10, 2015. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "2015 candidates one year after". The Punch Nigeria. April 10, 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- JEREMIAH, OKE (July 27, 2015). "What next for Seyi Makinde?". The Nation Online NG. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- Olu, Kola (February 27, 2015). "Students promise support for Makinde". marketpressrelease.com. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Makinde's emergence under SDP divine Ayoola". marketpressrelease.com. March 9, 2015. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- Adebayo, Waheed (December 11, 2014). "Makinde Rejects Oyo PDP Guber Primary Result". leadership.ng. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Oyo Guber Hopeful, Seyi Makinde Berates Gov Ajimobi over Campaign Office Raid". The Street Journal. March 20, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Oyo Gov: Seyi Makinde Dumps PDP, Joins SDP". The Street Journal. December 15, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Oyo NASU to build N500m office complex". sundiatapost.com. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- BISI, OLADELE (April 25, 2016). "Can PDP/Accord merger work in Oyo?". thenationonlineng.net. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- Adebayo, Waheed (November 10, 2014). "Oyo 2015: PDP Has Not Anointed Any Candidate – Makinde". leadership.ng. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Seyi Makinde Rejoins PDP from SDP in Oyo-State". vanguardngr.com. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- "Oyo SDP governorship candidate, Seyi Makinde returns to PDP". dailypost.ng. September 4, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- Published. "INEC Election Result 2019: Atiku declared winner in Oyo State". Punch Newspapers. Retrieved March 10, 2019.
- "Seyi Makinde takes oath of office as Oyo Governor". Oak TV Newstrack. Oak tv. May 29, 2019. Retrieved June 11, 2019.
- "CCII Honours Seyi Makinde, Others". theanchoronline.com.ng. March 17, 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Ogunmola bags FNOOS award". heritageechonews.blogspot.com.ng. April 18, 2014. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "Glo, CCII paint Ibadan green •As CCII honours Makinde, Olujinmi, others". tribuneonlineng.com. March 17, 2016. Retrieved May 21, 2016.
- "FRCN Xmas Grand Finale: Seyi Makinde Felicitates with Kids". radionigeriaibadan.org.ng. December 23, 2017. Retrieved February 9, 2018.
- "Meet Seyi Makinde". seyimakinde4governor.com. Retrieved May 21, 2016.