Seychelles national cricket team
The Seychelles Cricket Team is a fledgling team which represents the island nation of the Seychelles in International Cricket. It became an affiliate member of the International Cricket Council (ICC) in 2010 and an associate member in 2017.
Flag of the Seychelles
|International Cricket Council|
|ICC status||Associate member (2017)|
|First international||v Kathiwar Cricket Club, 1976|
|As of 15 July 2010|
Following the surrender of the Seychelles to the British Empire in the 1814 Treaty of Paris, then one can assume the game was played in some capacity in the 19th century. Following the independence of the Seychelles from the United Kingdom in 1979, the game on the islands went into decline.
Recently the game has seen an upsurge in popularity, mostly fuelled by expat communities on the island from cricket playing nations, but also involving local people. Until a few years ago the Seychelles played the Maldives and Maurindia of Mauritius in a triangular tournament.
In March 2010 the Seychelles Cricket Association president Jonathon Paul declared the countries intention to apply for Affiliate membership of the International Cricket Council (ICC). This was granted, with the Seychelles being recognised as the 105th member of the ICC.
Shortly after becoming a member of the ICC, Seychelles Cricket Association president Jonathon Paul announced plans to build an international standard cricket ground to encourage the growth of cricket in the Seychelles. Land on Ile Persévérance has been set aside for its construction.
In April 2018, the ICC decided to grant full Twenty20 International (T20I) status to all its members. Therefore, all Twenty20 matches played between the Seychelles and other ICC members after 1 January 2019 will be a full T20I.
- "Ireland and Afghanistan ICC newest full members amid wide-ranging governance reform". International Cricket Council. 22 June 2017. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
- Seychelles apply for Affiliate membership of the ICC
- ICC Seychelles page Archived 2010-08-31 at the Library of Congress Web Archives
- Seychelles announce plans for new cricket ground
- "All T20 matches between ICC members to get international status". International Cricket Council. 26 April 2018. Retrieved 1 September 2018.
|This article about a cricket team is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|