Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate
Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate is a 2020 American television special which was broadcast on April 14, 2020 by HBO and PBS Kids, and simulcast on WarnerMedia-owned networks. The special, which was an extension of Sesame Workshop's Caring for Each Other initiative in response to the COVID-19 pandemic in the United States, features Elmo and other Sesame Street characters having a virtual playdate, along with a few celebrity guests. HBO and WarnerMedia's parent company, AT&T was the program's sole sponsor.
|Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate|
|Based on||Sesame Street|
by Joan Ganz Cooney and Lloyd Morrisett
|Directed by||Matt Vogel|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||Melissa Dino|
|Running time||25 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Sesame Workshop|
|Original release||April 14, 2020|
A second special, Elmo's Playdate: Scavenger Hunt, aired on August 6, 2020.
The television special follows Elmo (with the help of his father Louie) as he has a virtual playdate with Grover, Cookie Monster, Abby Cadabby, and some of his other friends over at Sesame Street through video conferencing, together with a few celebrity guests, figuring out new ways to play together considering the limitations of social distancing. The show also highlights the roles of emergency medical technicians, doctors, and other everyday heroes who are helping people throughout the COVID-19 public health crisis.
Sesame Street Muppet PerformersEdit
- Jennifer Barnhart – Zoe
- Tyler Bunch – Louie
- Leslie Carrara-Rudolph – Abby Cadabby
- Frankie Cordero – Rudy
- Stephanie D'Abruzzo – Prairie Dawn
- Ryan Dillon – Elmo
- Eric Jacobson – Bert and Grover
- Peter Linz – Ernie
- Carmen Osbahr – Rosita
- Martin P. Robinson – Telly Monster
- David Rudman – Cookie Monster
- Matt Vogel – Big Bird and Count von Count
Special guest starsEdit
The special was broadcast at 7pm EDT on HBO and PBS Kids and was simulcast on WarnerMedia-owned networks TBS, TNT, truTV, HBO Latino, Cartoon Network, and Boomerang. It also re-aired on select PBS stations across the United States.
In Singapore, the special was broadcast on Mediacorp's Channel 5 through its children's programming block Okto. It aired on Sunday, April 19 at 10am, following the network's telecast of One World: Together at Home.
In the United Kingdom (where Elmo and Cookie Monster appeared as characters in spin-off show The Furchester Hotel), the special was broadcast on CBeebies on May 8 at 5:15pm and repeated on BBC One on May 30 at 1.15pm, marking the first time Sesame Street has been broadcast on the BBC's main domestic television network.
In Japan, the special was broadcast on NHK Educational TV on May 17t at 7:00 pm. Broadcasting in Japan will be the first in 13 years since it ended in September 2007. However, the scene where Taye Diggs appeared was cut.
- "Primetime Special 'Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate' to Offer Families Connection in Challenging Times". Sesame Workshop. 2020-04-08. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- Steinberg, Brian (2020-04-14). "AT&T Bets on Elmo to Connect With Consumers". Variety. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- Williams, Janice (29 July 2020). "What's Coming to HBO Max in August 2020? Full List of Releases". Newsweek. Retrieved 29 July 2020.
- Prior, Ryan (2020-04-15). "Lin-Manuel Miranda, Tracee Ellis Ross and Anne Hathaway get us to Sesame Street in coronavirus special". CNN. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "Entertainment: Corus Entertainment brings Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate special to Canada, across multiple networks April 15th". The Suburban. 2020-04-14. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate coronavirus special to air on Sunday". CNA. 2020-04-14. Retrieved 2020-04-25.
- "Sesame Street: Elmo's Playdate - CBeebies". BBC. Retrieved 2020-05-05.
- Elmo’s Playdate special to air on BBC One, licensingsource.net, 29 May 2020
- "NHKで16年ぶり『セサミストリート』Eテレで5・17放送". Oricon (in jp). 2020-05-12. Retrieved 2020-09-27.CS1 maint: unrecognized language (link)
- "Virtual fun for kids: Celebrities reading books, dance classes, art lessons and more". Bounty Parents. 2020-06-01. Retrieved 2020-06-10.