The Serra Grande Gold Mine is a gold mine located 5 km from Crixás, in the Goiás state of Brazil. It is jointly owned by AngloGold Ashanti and Kinross Gold Corporation, who are equal partners. The mine is operated by AngloGold Ashanti but revenue is spread evenly between the two companies.
|Company||AngloGold Ashanti (50% - Operator) |
Kinross Gold Corporation (50%)
|Website||AngloGold Ashanti website |
Kinross Gold website
In 2008, the Brazilian operations contributed 8% to AngloGold Ashanti's overall production. It is one of two mining operations of the company in Brazil, the other being the Brasil Mineração Gold Mine.
Exploration work on the current Serra Grande mine begun in 1973 and detailed mapping and diamond drilling was conducted until 1976. Mining however did not start until 1987.
Kinross Gold acquired fifty percent of the operation in January 2003 through a merger with TVX.
Serra Grande currently comprises three underground mines: Mina III, Mina Nova, and Palmeiras, the later being the most recent development. An open pit also exists above Mina III.
The mine experienced one fatality in 2008 but has been fatality free in 2009.
Recent production figures of the mine were:
|Year||Production (ounces)||Grade||Cost per ounce|
|2003 ||190,000||7.88 g/t||US$ 109|
|2004 ||188,000||7.80 g/t||US$ 134|
|2005 ||192,000||7.93 g/t||US$ 158|
|2006 ||194,000||7.51 g/t||US$ 198|
|2007 ||182,000||7.21 g/t||US$ 263|
|2008 ||174,000||7.58 g/t||US$ 294|
|2009 ||154,000||4.72 g/t||US$ 406|
- Annual Report 2009 Archived 2011-09-12 at the Wayback Machine AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 9 May 2010
- AngloGold Ashanti: Country report Brazil Archived 2011-07-07 at the Wayback Machine AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 13 July 2010
- Crixás, Brazil Archived 2010-09-01 at the Wayback Machine Kinross website, accessed: 13 July 2010
- Annual Report 2005 Archived 2011-07-19 at the Wayback Machine AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 11 July 2010
- Annual Report 2006 Archived 2011-07-07 at the Wayback Machine AngloGold Ashanti website, accessed: 11 July 2010