Sergio Trujillo is a dancer and stage choreographer. Born in Colombia, raised in Canada and an American citizen who lives in New York City. Trujillo was the recipient of the 2015 Laurence Olivier Award for Best Theatre Choreographer for Memphis and the 2019 Tony Award for Best Choreography for Ain't Too Proud.
Trujillo was born in Cali, Colombia and moved to Canada with his family at age 12. He was raised in North York, a suburb of Toronto. Trujillo studied sciences at the University of Toronto and also attended chiropractic school but left to pursue a dance career.
Trujillo explained his desire to be a choreographer: "I knew that Fosse was going to be my last show. What started to happen was that I began feeling restricted, bound and suffocated by somebody else’s work. I didn’t get to express myself, and I needed to do something about it."
In 2011, Trujillo had the honor of having four shows simultaneously running on Broadway; Tony Award winning Best Musical Memphis (Olivier Award, Outer Critics Circle Award, Drama Desk and Astaire Award nominations), Tony and Olivier Award winning Best Musical Jersey Boys (Greenroom Award, Olivier, Drama Desk, Dora, Outer Critics Circle Award nominations), The Addams Family, and Next to Normal, the recipient of the 2010 Pulitzer Prize.
Trujillo made his Broadway debut as a performer in Jerome Robbins' Broadway in 1989 and also appeared in Guys and Dolls (1992), Victor/Victoria (1998) and Fosse (1999). He made his choreographic debut with All Shook Up in 2005. That same year he choreographed Jersey Boys on Broadway.
Trujillo is the choreographer of the Broadway production of Summer: The Donna Summer Musical which earned him a 2018 Chita Rivera Awards for Dance and Choreography. Other Broadway credits include:On Your Feet!, Hands on a Hardbody (Drama Desk nomination), Leap of Faith, and Guys and Dolls in 2009 (Astaire Awards nomination).
- Other stage
He was the director and choreographer for Arrabal at the American Repertory Theater in Boston which earned him an Elliot Norton Awards for direction, Gloria Estefan on Broadway at the Minskoff Theatre, Flashdance the Musical, which had a North America tour in 2013–15.
Off-Broadway, Trujillo choreographed Invisible Thread (2015), Bare: A Pop Opera (2004), A Tree Grows in Brooklyn for City Center Encores!, The Great American Trailer Park Musical (2005), The Public Theater — Shakespeare in the Park (New York City's production of Romeo & Juliet (2007), Kismet for Encores! and Saved (2008) for Playwrights Horizons (Lucille Lortel Awards nomination).
His regional theatre credits include Mambo Kings (San Francisco), Zhivago and The Wiz at the La Jolla Playhouse in San Diego, a US tour of Kiss of the Spider Woman (performer, mid-1990s) and West Side Story in 1999 and 2009 at the Stratford Festival, Canada. He also choreographed at the Village Theatre for their musical staging of The Wedding Banquet (2003). In the West End he choreographed Peggy Sue Got Married. He choreographed the Disney musical Tarzan in Scheveningen in 2007.
Other theatre credits include: Carmen; An Afro-Cuban Musical (Helen Hayes Award nomination), Kiss of the Spider Woman (North Shore Music Theatre), Kiss Me Kate (Tokyo), Needfire (Royal Alexandra Theatre), a musical adaptation of Twelfth Night (Tokyo), and segments of Chita Rivera's Chita and All That Jazz.
Sergio Trujillo was distinguished as one of the Top 100 Colombians in the world by President Juan Manuel Santos.
Awards and nominationsEdit
Source: Internet Broadway Database
- 2019 Tony Award for Best Choreography — Ain't Too Proud (winner)
- 2016 Tony Award Best Choreography — On Your Feet! (nominee)
- 2015 Olivier Award Best Theatre Choreographer — Memphis the Musical (winner)
- 2013 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography — Hands on a Hardbody (nominee)
- 2012 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography — Leap of Faith (nominee)
- 2010 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography — Memphis (nominee)
- 2009 Lucille Lortel Award Outstanding Choreographer — Saved (nominee)
- 2006 Drama Desk Award Outstanding Choreography — Jersey Boys (nominee)
- 2010 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Choreography — Memphis (winner tie)
- 2016 Outer Critics Circle Award for Outstanding Choreography — On Your Feet
- 2018 Elliot Norton Awards for Outstanding Director, Large Theater — Arrabal (winner)
- 2003 Ovation Awards for Outstanding Choreography — Empire: A New Musical
- Kelly, Mary. "Sergio Trujillo" The Canada Encyclopedia, March 28, 2012
- Herstein, Beth. "April 2009 interview with Sergio Trujillo" talkinbroadway.com, 2009
- Simonson, Robert (April 6, 2010). "The Ubiquitous Choreographer: Sergio Trujillo". Playbill. Retrieved 2015-11-23.
- Credits at Playbill.com Archived 2009-11-05 at the Wayback Machine
- Jones, Kenneth."Zaks Is New Patriarch of Addams Family; Previews Will Now Begin March 8" Archived 2011-06-04 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, December 29, 2009
- Clement, Olivia. "Ariana DeBose, Tony Yazbeck, and More Recipients of 2018 Chita Rivera Awards" Playbill, May 20, 2018
- Dolen, Christine,. "Flashdance the Musical’ makes a splash at the Broward Center" miami.com, March 1, 2013
- Credits at BroadwayWorld.com
- Gans, Andrew. "Jersey Boys' Trujillo Working on European Tarzan" Archived 2010-02-23 at the Wayback Machine playbill.com, March 19, 2007
- Citron, Paula (2011-12-07). "Sergio Trujillo: From Jane/Finch to Broadway". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 2015-01-15.
- "Broadway Couple Sergio Trujillo & Jack Noseworthy Welcome a Baby Boy!". BroadwayWorld. Retrieved April 27, 2018.
- "Sergio Trujillo Broadway Awards" ibdb.com, accessed May 20, 2016
- McPhee, Ryan. " 'Hadestown Leads the Pack at the 2019 Tony Awards" Playbill, June 9, 2019
- "Olivier Winners 2015" olivierawards.com, accessed May 20, 2016
- Saved lortel.com, accessed May 20, 2016
- Gans, Andrew. " 'Memphis', 'La Cage', Zeta-Jones, Finneran and More Are Outer Critics Circle Award Winners" Playbill, May 17, 2010
- "36th Annual Elliot Norton Awards Recipients" wixstatic.com, retrieved June 11, 2019