Sergio Parisse (Italian pronunciation: [ˈsɛrdʒo paˈrisse]; born 12 September 1983) is an Italian rugby union player. He currently plays for French club Toulon and is the current captain of Italy. Parisse is Italy's most-capped player, and currently 3rd most-capped player worldwide. He was the first Italian rugby union player to be nominated for the IRB International Player of the Year, first in 2008 and again in 2013. Parisse is widely considered one of the greatest number eights of modern rugby.
|Birth name||Sergio Francesco Antonio Parisse|
|Date of birth||12 September 1983|
|Place of birth||La Plata, Argentina|
|Height||1.96 m (6 ft 5 in)|
|Weight||113 kg (17 st 11 lb; 249 lb)|
|Rugby union career|
Parisse debuted at the Italy national team in 2002.
Though Italy failed to make it beyond the pool stage of the 2007 Rugby World Cup, Parisse played well.
Parisse continued his form into the 2008 Six Nations Championship. Parisse won his 50th cap for Italy against England in the 2008 Six Nations Championship at the age of 24. Parisse is also the Italian captain, appointed in 2008 by Nick Mallett in place of Marco Bortolami. In September 2008 Parisse was nominated for IRB International Player of the Year alongside Dan Carter, Ryan Jones, Shane Williams and Mike Blair.
Parisse captained Italy in the 2011 Rugby World Cup in New Zealand. Italy finished third in their group, one place short of qualification, after two losses against Australia and Ireland on top of their two wins against USA and Russia. Parisse scored a total of two tries at the tournament.
He captained Italy in the 2012 Six Nations Championship. Italy had a mixed championship with losses against France, Wales, England and Ireland but also victory against Scotland to avoid the wooden spoon. Parisse again captained Italy for the 2013 Six Nations Championship.The campaign started very well for the Italians when they beat France for only the second time ever, with Parisse himself scoring a try. The following week Italy lost 33-10 to Scotland in an underwhelming performance at Murrayfield. Parisse missed Italy's match with Wales on the 23 February 2013 due to abusing a referee in a club game with Stade Francais. Italy struggled without their captain and lost 26-9. Parisse returned for Italy's next game against England and despite England being massive favourites Italy put in a competitive display to only lose by seven points, 18-11.
Style of playEdit
Parisse is known for having many qualities, most notably his famous passing skills. Parisse is rare in having the ability to pass accurately without looking. This was highlighted by Parisse's behind-his-back pass against New Zealand. Other passing skills he possesses include quick offloads and passing the ball under his legs, which he has done on many occasions including against France and South Africa.
Sergio also regularly uses dummying, cut and switch and pop-passing. Other qualities include; a good catcher of the high ball, powerful ball-carrier, good receiver line-out option and impressive footwork.
Parisse married Miss France 2006 and Miss Europe 2006 Alexandra Rosenfeld in early 2010. They got married in Hérault where Rosenfeld is from. The couple's first child, a daughter named Ava, was born on 23 August 2010 in Béziers. Rosenfeld and Parisse divorced in April 2013. Parisse married Silvia Bragazzi in 2014. Parisse has appeared on Dieux du Stade on numerous occasions.
- "Sergio PARISSE". Stade.fr. Retrieved 21 March 2019.
- "Parisse se sumó a la campaña por el quincho". El Día. La Plata, Argentina. 1 March 2014. Retrieved 13 May 2017.
-  Archived 5 February 2010 at the Wayback Machine
- Meadows, Mark (26 November 2009). "Italy's Parisse ruled out by serious knee injury". Reuters. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Rugby World Cup 2011: Australia 32-6 Italy". 11 September 2011 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Rugby World Cup 2011 Pool C: Italy 53-17 Russia". 20 September 2011 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Six Nations: France 30-12 Italy". 4 February 2012 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Six Nations: Italy 13-6 Scotland". 17 March 2012 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Italy v France". ESPN scrum.
- "Scotland v Italy". ESPN scrum.
- "Six Nations 2013: Banned Sergio Parisse misses Italy v Wales game". 20 February 2013 – via www.bbc.co.uk.
- "Italy v Wales". ESPN scrum.
- "England v Italy". ESPN scrum.
- "Italy v Ireland". ESPN scrum.
- "Parisse savours Italy's best ever finish after Azzurri secure famous victory over Ireland". Daily Mail. London.His try against England at Twickenham in the 2015 RBS Six Nations was his 13th international try on his 110th cap.
- gazzetta, 17 November, 2012 Archived 20 November 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- admin. "Sergio Parisse superbe behind the back pass in Italy – All Blacks 2012 – The Coup Magazine".
- "South Africa 44 Italy 10: Italian rallying tests hosts". HeraldScotland.
- ESPN,South Africa power past Italy, 8 June, 2013 Archived 27 October 2014 at the Wayback Machine
- "Parisse is quite possibly the best player in the world and his sights are set on England". Mail Online.
- "HugeDomains.com - FillMedia.com is for sale (Fill Media)". www.hugedomains.com.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 17 August 2016. Retrieved 2016-11-30.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)