This article needs additional citations for verification. (November 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Serena Grandi (born 23 March 1958 in Bologna) is an Italian actress, famous as an icon and sex symbol in Italian cinema of the 1980s and 1990s. Known for her junoesque body and voluptuous measurements, she was considered one of the main pin-up girls of Italy. Some films credited her as Vanessa Steiger. Horror film buffs know her for her two gory opuses, Antropophagus (1980) and Delirium (1987).
Grandi in 1983
23 March 1958
|Other names||Vanessa Steiger|
Serena Grandi is the stage name for Serena Faggioli, born in Bologna. She graduated in computer programming and was first employed in a scientific analysis laboratory. She started her acting career in 1980, playing a supporting role in the comedy film La Compagna di viaggio by Ferdinando Baldi.
In the same year, Grandi played the role of Maggie in the controversial film Antropophagus, directed by Joe D'Amato. This film is well known among horror movie fans for its extreme gore sequences. After several minor roles, she took the title role in Tinto Brass' Miranda, which gave her the status of sex symbol in her native Italy and set the path for her stardom.
Through the 1980s, Grandi made nearly 20 films, mainly appearing in "Commedie sexy all'italiana" and erotic films, but also starring in sword epics such as The Adventures of Hercules and in some horror films. In 1987 Lamberto Bava gave her the role of Gloria in his film Delirium. In 1991 she married the antiquarian Beppe Ercole, 20 years her senior, with whom she had a son Edoardo; the couple divorced in 1998.
In the 1990s, Grandi started to back away from the spotlight; during this time she focused her career on television series.
In 2003-2004 Grandi spent 157 days under house arrest, accused of having sold a few grams of cocaine. The case was later dismissed.
In 2006, Grandi was a candidate in the list of Azione Sociale, a right-leaning party led by Alessandra Mussolini, but she was not elected. The same year she published her first novel, L’amante del federale. In 2008, after a break of ten years, she returned to acting.
- Antropophagus (1980, as Vanessa Steiger)
- Tranquille donne di campagna (1980)
- La compagna di viaggio (1980)
- Teste di cuoio(1981)
- Malamore (1982)
- Pierino la peste alla riscossa (1982)
- Pierino colpisce ancora (1982)
- Tu mi turbi (1983)
- Acapulco, prima spiaggia... a sinistra (1983)
- A Boy and a Girl (1983)
- Sturmtruppen II (1983)
- The Adventures of Hercules (1985)
- Sogni e bisogni (1985, TV miniseries)
- Desiderando Giulia (1986)
- Lady of the Night (1986)
- Zanzibar (1986, TV)
- Exploits of a Young Don Juan (1986)
- Delirium (1987)
- Teresa (1987)
- Rimini Rimini (1987)
- Roba da ricchi (1987)
- Abbronzatissima (1987)
- L'insegnante di violoncello (1989)
- In nome del popolo sovrano (1990)
- Vendetta: Secrets of a Mafia Bride (1990, TV)
- Donne sottotetto (1992)
- Saint Tropez, Saint Tropez (1992)
- Per odio per amore (1991, TV)
- Il prezzo della vita (1993, TV)
- Graffiante desiderio (1993)
- Delitto passionale (1994)
- La strana storia di Olga O. (1995)
- Ladri si nasce (1997, TV)
- Gli inaffidabili (1997)
- Monella (1998)
- Radiofreccia (1998)
- Anni '50 (1998, mini TV series)
- Le ragazze di Piazza di Spagna (1998, TV series)
- Giovanna's Father (2008)
- A Second Childhood (2010)
- The Great Beauty (2013)
- Giorgio Dell’Arti, Massimo Parrin. Catalogo dei viventi. Marsilio, 2009.
- Marco Giusti. Dizionario dei film italiani stracult. Sperling & Kupfer, 1999.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Serena Grandi.|