Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915
Sepahan Airlines Flight 5915 was a scheduled domestic passenger flight from Tehran to Tabas, Iran. On 10 August 2014, the HESA IrAn-140 twin turboprop serving the flight crashed shortly after takeoff from Mehrabad International Airport, falling into a residential area near the Azadi Stadium. Of the 42 passengers and six crew on board, 40 people died.
EP-GPB, an IrAn-140 sister ship of the aircraft involved
|Date||10 August 2014|
|Summary||Crashed following mishandled engine failure on take-off|
|Site||Near Azadi Stadium, Tehran |
|Aircraft type||HESA IrAn-140|
|IATA flight No.||H85915|
|ICAO flight No.||SPN5915|
|Call sign||SEPAHAN 5915|
|Flight origin||Mehrabad International Airport, Iran|
|Destination||Tabas Airport, Iran|
Survivors reported that the number two engine had stopped during the takeoff. The pilots reportedly turned back four minutes after takeoff upon experiencing technical difficulties, but were unable to maintain altitude. The Antonov An-140 (upon which the HESA IrAn-140 is based) is a relatively recent development, with knock-down kits being delivered for domestic Iranian assembly as recently as 2007.
Passengers and crewEdit
It was later determined that multiple factors had contributed to the accident. The aircraft was overloaded by 2666 kg, and was not properly trimmed for takeoff. The stabilizer should have been trimmed upwards between zero and six degrees, however the trim setting used during the accident flight was two degrees downwards. The rudder trim had not been centered. The flaps, which were supposed to be set at 15 degrees, were set only at ten degrees. During the takeoff roll, a malfunction in the electronic fuel delivery system caused a loss of power in the right engine. Two seconds later, although rotation speed had not yet been reached, the captain brought the plane into the air. Shortly afterwards, the crew noticed the engine failure but did not immediately attempt to feather the propeller. The plane began to lose airspeed, reaching a maximum height of 40 metres before descending and eventually entering an aerodynamic stall. By the time the crew feathered the propeller, 17 seconds after the initial failure, it was too late to recover the plane, which impacted a highway 1.6 km from the end of the runway. The final investigation concludes:
The accident investigation team determined that the main cause of this accident was combination of:
- "Dozens dead in plane crash at Tehran airport". Al Jazeera. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Agha Iqrar Haroon (10 August 2014). "Passenger plane crashed with 48 persons on board in Tehran". Dispatch News Desk. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Aircraft Accident Investigation Final Report" (PDF).
- Hradecky, Simon (10 August 2014). "Crash: Sepahan A140 at Tehran on Aug 10th 2014, lost height after takeoff". The Aviation Herald. Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- "Crash: Sepahan A140 at Tehran on Aug 10th 2014, lost height after takeoff". Avherald.com. Retrieved 16 August 2014.
- "At Least 39 Killed in Iran Plane Crash". Retrieved 10 August 2014.
- Gladman, Paul (19 December 2007). "Antonov An-140". Flightglobal. Retrieved 11 August 2014.
- "About 40 killed as airliner crashes near Tehran's Mehrabad airport (video)". RT. 10 August 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2014.