Seoul Transportation Corporation, branded as Seoul Metro (Hangul: 서울교통공사), is a municipal-owned corporation owned by Seoul Metropolitan Government, and one of the two major operators of Seoul Metropolitan Subway with Korail.
|Predecessors||Seoul Metro Corporation|
Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corporation
|Founded||31 May 2017|
|Headquarters||346 Cheonho-daero, Seongdong District, Seoul, South Korea|
|Kim Tae-ho (CEO)|
|Owner||Seoul Metropolitan Government|
|Revised Romanization||Seoul Gyotong Gongsa|
|McCune–Reischauer||Sŏul Kyot'ong Kongsa|
- May 31, 2017: Seoul Transportation Corporation is formed after a merger of Seoul Metro Corporation and Seoul Metropolitan Rapid Transit Corporation to more efficiently operate services on lines 1–9.
In South Korea, seniors aged 65 and over can ride the subway for free. However, due to this country's system, Seoul Metro's deficit is getting worse.
A declining birthrate and aging population are expected to further worsen public finances, and there is even talk of raising the age limit for free passes.
Seoul Metro, the operator of the subway system in Seoul, suffered a net loss of around 1 trillion won annually since 2020, with an accumulated net loss posting a whopping 14 trillion won. A similar problem is occurring at the Korea Railroad Corporation.
Lines and sectionsEdit
Seoul Metro's service covers part of lines 1, 3, 4 and all of lines 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. Trains from Lines 1, 3 and 4 through operate with Korail services. Seoul Metro controls the railways and stations owned by the Seoul Metropolitan Government.
|Line Name||Starting Station(s)||Ending Station(s)||Stations||Total Length|
|Cheongnyangni||Seoul Station||10||7.8 km|
|Soyosan / Uijeongbu / Kwangwoon University / Yeongdeungpo||Incheon / Seodongtan / Gwangmyeong / Sinchang(Soonchunhyang Univ.)||97||200.6 km|
|City Hall / Sindorim / Seongsu||Kkachisan / Sinseol-dong / City Hall||51||60.2 km|
|Jinjeop / Danggogae||Sadang / Oido||51||72.1 km|
|Banghwa||Hanam Geomdansan / Macheon||57||63.0 km|
|Eonju||VHS Medical Center||12||12.8 km|
|Gaehwa / Gimpo International Airport||VHS Medical Center||38||40.6 km|
- Gunja Depot - for Lines 1 & 2
- Sinjeong Depot - for Line 2
- Jichuk Depot - for Line 3 (heavy maintenance for Line 4)
- Suseo Depot - for Line 3
- Chang-dong Depot - for Line 4
- Godeok Depot - for Line 5 (heavy maintenance for Line 8)
- Banghwa Depot - for Line 5
- Sinnae Depot - for Line 6
- Dobong Depot - for Line 7 (heavy maintenance for Line 6)
- Cheonwang Depot - for Line 7
- Moran Depot - for Line 8
- Gimpo Depot - for Line 9
Subway etiquette with Bread Barbershop charactersEdit
In June 2020, the etiquette was uploaded on both YouTube channels, their own YouTube channel, and the Korean Bread Barbershop channel. The company said that they can meet Master Bread and his friends on June 10, 2020. The etiquette promotes that bringing food in a subway is prohibited.
- ^ "Seoul Metro Created out of Merger between Two Subway Corporations". The Korea Economic Daily. The Korea Economic Daily. 31 May 2017. Retrieved 1 June 2017.
- ^ (News Focus) Free subway rides for seniors under hot debate again amid aging society Yonhap News Agency（February 17, 2023）
- ^ "서울교통공사 블로그 : 네이버 블로그". blog.naver.com. Retrieved 2021-05-31.