Seongnam (Korean pronunciation: [ˈsʰʌŋ.nam]) is the second largest city in South Korea's Gyeonggi Province after Suwon and the 10th largest city in the country. Its population is approximately one million. Seongnam is a satellite city of Seoul. It is largely a residential city located immediately southeast of Seoul and belongs to the Seoul National Capital Area.
|• Revised Romanization||Seongnam-si|
|Administrative divisions||3 gu, 44 dong|
|• Mayor||Eun Su-mi (Democratic)|
|• Total||141.70 km2 (54.71 sq mi)|
(December 31, 2012)
|• Density||7,032.10/km2 (18,213.1/sq mi)|
Seongnam, the first planned city in Korea's history, was conceived during the era of President Park Chung-Hee for the purpose of industrializing the nation by concentrating electronic, textile, and petrochemical facilities there during the 1970s and 1980s. The city featured a network of roads, to Seoul and other major cities, from the early 1970s on. Today, Seongnam has merged with the metropolitan network of Seoul. Bundang, one of the districts in Seongnam, was developed in the 1990s.
To accelerate the dispersion of Seoul's population to its suburbs and relieve the congested Seoul metropolitan area, the Korean government has provided stimulus packages to large public corporations and private companies to be headquartered in the Bundang district. Bundang-gu is now home to prominent companies such as KT (formerly Korea Telecom).
In recent years, a movement to have Seongnam designated a metropolitan city capable of governing itself has arisen.
|Students per Teacher:||23|
|Number of Cars:||270,289|
Seongnam is divided into 3 "gu" (구, "ward"):
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2016)
The city's only international school is Korea International School - Pangyo. Seongnam is home to the Seongnam Foreign Language High School Seongnam is also the home to Gachon University's primary campus.
Tourism and cultureEdit
The Seongnam Arts Center includes three theaters: the opera house, concert hall, and ensemble theater. It also includes the main arts hall and the cube arts hall, an academy, musical fountains, outdoor recreation facilities, and leisure facilities.
- (Red Bus)
- 90OO, 93OO, 94OO (OO means another number excl. 01) to Gangnam-gu or Jung-gu, Seoul
- (Green Bus)- Gyeonggi Bus
- Green bus to Seoul, Gwangju, Yongin, western Gyeonggi, National Road
- National Road number 3-Gwangju-Yatap-Sangdaewon-Seongnam IC-Gachon University Station-Seoul
Twin towns – sister citiesEdit
Notable people from SeongnamEdit
- Lee Yo-won, South Korean actress
- Lee Yeon-hee, South Korean actress and model
- Ra Yoon-chan, South Korean child actor.
- Jo Jong-hwan, member of K-pop boy group 100% and the sub-unit 100% V
- Dahyun, member of K-pop girl group Twice
- Solbin, member of K-pop girl group LABOUM
- Kino, member of K-pop boy group Pentagon
- Choi Yeon-jun, member of K-pop boy group TXT
- Jeon Hee-jin, member of K-pop girl group Loona
- Heo Chan, member of K-pop boy group Victon
- Jang Seung-yeon, member of K-pop girl group CLC
- Hong Seong-jun, member of K-pop boy group BDC
- Kim Sun-woo, member of K-pop boy group The Boyz
- Artosis, esports caster of StarCraft.
- Jimin, former member of AOA
- Yoo Jimin (Karina), member of K-pop girl group Aespa
- Lee Ga-hyeon, member of K-pop girl group Dreamcatcher
- "Seongnam City Statistics".[permanent dead link]
- "suwon city".
- "Archived copy" 개인 | 글로벌 No.1 KT. www.kt.com (in Korean). Archived from the original on 2010-02-12. Retrieved 2018-06-14.CS1 maint: archived copy as title (link)
- 성남시민프로축구단. Retrieved 2018-06-14.
- "오시는길 Archived 2011-09-09 at the Wayback Machine." (Map Archived 2011-09-12 at the Wayback Machine) Nowcom. Retrieved on September 17, 2011. "경기도 성남시 분당구 삼평동 625 판교세븐벤처밸리 1단지 2동 9층"
- "찾아오시는길."(Map). Since 2005. "경기도 판교 테크노 벨리"
- Gachon University's Admission Contacts
- "고객감동 문화공간 성남아트센터". www.snart.or.kr. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "국외". seongnam.go.kr (in Korean). Seongnam. Retrieved 2020-04-17.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Seongnam.|
- The Official Website of the Seongnam City (in English)
- The Official Website of the Seongnam City Council (in English)
- 2015년 인구주택총조사 전수집계결과 보도자료 [2015 Population and Housing Census]. Statistics Korea.